topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: JavaScript / jQuery Editor Suggestions?  (Read 4323 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
JavaScript / jQuery Editor Suggestions?
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:09 AM »
Can anyone recommend any JavaScript / jQuery editors?

Specifically, I'd like to get something that is similar to Visual Studio with intellisense and code completion.

So far I'm finding that the jquery-1.6.1-vsdoc.js files dont' really work all that well. Ok. They don't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... I'll look into it again, but still, any recommendations? Windows or Mac is fine. Free is preferable, but if you know something that's shareware and rocks, that's ok too.

Thanks in advance.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: JavaScript / jQuery Editor Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Have you tried the default Java IDE's Eclipse and NetBeans already? Both have plug-ins for so many things there surely is something for js/jq available. I'm not working with those technologies, so I can't give further advise :huh:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:27 AM by Ath, Reason: Added url\'s »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:01 AM »
I'd like to find something lighter than Eclipse or NetBeans. For simply editing JavaScript, they're pretty heavy. I suppose I should look into the VS thing some more. So far it's been extremely disappointing and entirely useless. I'm just so used to seeing things in code completion --- it's a super-fast way to get up to speed on things.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:21 PM »
I am trying to find decent one (free or not totally overpriced) for a long time and I am keeping with NetBeans. Unfortunately, while there are dozens (hundreds?) of nice HTML editors, JS support is pretty basic.

For overpriced solution, while Dreamweaver sucks a little with editing features it is still is good enough for JS though.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:01 PM »
You might want to check out WebStorm from JetBrains (the IntelliJ Java IDE folks).  I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but the little that I have has been pretty good (I've actually used the PhpStorm version, which is basically WebStorm with PHP support added on):

- http://www.jetbrains...features/#JavaScript

It's written in Java and isn't super lightweight, but compared to Eclipse, it's light as a feather; I think that's true of everything when compared to Eclipse.

WebStorm costs $70, not super expensive, but not a no-brainer either. Unfortunately you've just missed out on a 50% off promotion that ended a couple weeks ago. JetBrains seems to do promos relatively often (but not necessarily for WebStorm), so if you want to try to hold out until another special rolls around you could try living on the "Early Access" builds (EAPs), which have a 30 day time bomb but are generally refreshed more often than that.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:11 PM »
but compared to Eclipse, it's light as a feather; I think that's true of everything when compared to Eclipse.
The new Indigo release has improved a lot on the memory and performance discrepancies of the last few years. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Well, I went back to VS...

The -vsdoc.js files only work inside of *.js files. So, you can't just add a:

/// <reference path="jquery-1.6.1-vsdoc.js" />

Reference inside of script tags to something like an *.ascx or *.htm file and expect it to work.

So, in other words, to get the code completion in VS, you can't take the quick & dirty road, and instead need to break things down properly and put your JavaScript code in a proper JavaScript file.

It's a bit of a hassle when you only want to hack around some, but... FWIW - It works there for what I can see so far, and appears to work well.