ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking at Cameras

<< < (5/6) > >>

IainB:
@tomos: I did a comparison between your Olympus E-PL2 and my Sony DSC H-55, and thought it's probably comparing apples and eggs, the E-PL2 looks rather nice.

tomos:
There are way too many "f"s in photography. It means, variously:
-CWuestefeld (July 12, 2011, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know what you mean! I used a film SLR years ago, so understood how it worked but couldn't explain it (articulately) to anyone. The aperature f number getting smaller as the aperature gets bigger is where it all starts to go pear shaped for me...

tomos:
@tomos: I did a comparison between your Olympus E-PL2 and my Sony DSC H-55, and thought it's probably comparing apples and eggs, the E-PL2 looks rather nice.
-IainB (July 13, 2011, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

that's an interesting site, good for getting the technical side of things - although they dont seem to cover very important things like how true the colour is.
The E-PL2 comes in at #15 in their list of 27 mirrorless cameras tested. But if you read in-depth reviews, you'll see things like colour being off, ergonomics not so good, etc, etc on some of those much higher up that list. It also ignores lenses...

jpfx:
I bought a new compact recently because I needed a waterproof one to take on a sailboat.
I ended up with an Olympus 'tough' TG-810 (probably named differently in EU).

I can say 'without doubt this takes the worst pictures I've seen since 1 megapixel cameras'
It's supposed to be 14Meg (I think) but the snapshot output has no clarity and barrel distortion is horrendous. I really can't believe how bad the pics are out of this camera. Wasn't cheap either. Ho Hum. This is one case where my phone camera does better.

Anywho, if you're looking for a waterproof, avoid olympus TG-810 unless you can test it out, (mine might just be a dud).

kunkel321:
I'll give my $0.02 (USD)  ;)  even though I can tell from the posts that most of you are more advanced in the subject than I am....  I'm a Fujifilm fan.  I got my first digital camera 6 or 7 years ago.  I chose the FinePix s5000 mostly because of its feature set.  10x Optical, 3 megapixels.  I got it for about $350, which was an okay deal.  I've been real happy with it over the years, but recently the autofocus-assist green light thingy doesn't work and also there seems to be more distortions in the photos.  (Maybe because my helpful nephew took a bunch of pictures of the summer sun for me a while back.)   A year or two ago, my father-in-law gave me a little Olympus T-100 compact.  The pics are not as good as the s5000.  Also, the T-100's power button seems to have broken after a couple months of light use.  Basically, when turned off, the lens doesn’t detract and therefore you can’t put it in your pocket.  I have to take the battery out, and put it back in for it to close.  Anyway…  I’d been looking around for what my replacement will be.  One of the ones I’d had my eye on is the FinePix s4000.  The s4000 came on sale at Costco for $200, so I got it.  It’s pretty nice.  Still trying out the different features…  It is similar to my old s5000.  Has a 30x optical zoom which is nice, even though you practically have to have a tripod to use the full zoom.  14 MP, image stabilization, blink and smile detection.  Macro mode. 
I do have to say, I gave serious thought to investing in a good pocket camera, simply for the reason given by CWuestefeld that a camera isn’t much use if you don’t have it with you…  Ended up with the full-size s4000 because the sale price was pretty good.  I am curious if anyone can comment on the picture quality of a full-size versus a compact of the same price-range.  I noticed some comments above that really small compacts might not be as great.  But for instance what about a $300 full-size verses a $300 compact, of the same mega pixels by the same company???  I do have to say that not having to deal with a lenscap is nice…  Then again, being able to use standard AA batteries is nice too  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version