ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking at Cameras

<< < (2/6) > >>

tomos:
1 x Sony DSC-H55 Cyber-Shot camera:[/b] NZ$286 - refer Sony DSC-H55 Cyber-Shot camera - handbook (GB).pdf
[...]
The cyber-shot camera has some great features - e.g., 10x optical zoom, anti-shake, panoramic view capture (not stitched in memory, but taken by panning the camera in panoramic mode).
-IainB (July 01, 2011, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

that's a good tip - it and the next one up the line (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H70) both get good reviews for the lenses

cmpm:
Battery life and reliance would be a factor I think.
I'd get two if it doesn't come with two, so you always have one ready.
My 2 cents.

Renegade:
I don't know if you're willing to go the DSLR route, but I've been extremely happy with my Nikon D5000.

You can see some pictures with it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryansmyth/

Now, keep in mind that if the picture was taken previous to July 2010, then it's not the Nikon.

These don't have dates, but MOST are with the Nikon:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150649017180293&set=a.10150569655835293.664231.902920292&type=1&theater

All pictures are reduced in size, so just FYI there. It shoots at 4,288x2848. (12 MP)

The vast majority were taken very quickly, as in having only a couple seconds to point, frame and shoot. They're NOT super-awesome-took-10-hours-to-take-the-worlds-best-picture photos. And, I'm certainly not a photographer -- I'm only learning.

A lot are in low light as well, with only the built-in flash.

Here are some Dead Kennedys concert pics. Taken in low light. I was probably 20 m from the stage, so not great, but for the built in flash, at that distance, and a super-amateur, not too bad.

A few more - Rob Zombie - Dimmu Borghir - and Slayer - However, the Slayer and Rob Zombie pics are with an Ixus 200 IS at the front row of the mosh pit... For all of them I had to hold the camera and shoot blind. The Ixus is a cheap camera, but does a pretty good job all things considered. Still, I'd only call it a backup.

With a quick search, I found this:

Nikon D5000 twin kit w/ Nikon 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR Lenses Digital SLR Camera

For AUD$724.

With prices here being stupidly high, you can probably get a better deal (unless prices in the UK are stupidly high, which for software I know they are quite often).

The Nikon lens I have (my only 1) is an 18~105 mm.

But, with a DSLR you get options galore, and an excuse to sink sick amounts of money into it, because you always really Really REALLY NEED that other lens... :)

I've been drooling over buying a few lenses for a while, and always manage to fail to get anything on eBay. (Holding out for a bit... but not sure how long I can last...)

However, DSLR is a very different route than point and click. Not sure if it's something you'd be interested in. The prices are down to very nice levels now.

tomos:
I don't know if you're willing to go the DSLR route, but I've been extremely happy with my Nikon D5000.
-Renegade (July 01, 2011, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

the pics look great and I've seen samples from it before - they're nikon fans at that review site that I like (www.imaging-resource.com)

But an SLR would definitely be too big for me - I reckon I'd never rarely use it. I'm afraid even the Olympus above with the kit zoom would be too big for me - I like the idea of having a tiny 35mm equivalent lens on it (like this one), but then I might be wishing for a compact with 10x zoom. That's why I've definitely got to try it out first.

but for the moment I've ordered the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H70 and will see how I like it.

The reason I started getting so fussy about lenses was I had tried out the Canon SX120 and got results like this (and towards the middle of the picture too)
Was also getting visible purple fringes on white flowers, smack in the middle of the pic...

Renegade:
Ouch. That's pretty bad. I had a Casio Exilim Z-40 and it had 1 dead pixel (not worth worrying about), and the pictures weren't all that great, but better than that Purple Haze.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version