ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Real SciFi Technology - a 3D-Replicator

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
Imagine the medical applications once this technology gets more sophisticated: almost perfect facsimiles for knee replacements, etc.
-kyrathaba (July 10, 2011, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Brilliant thinking Mr.K. !!!  :Thmbsup:

Any bone! Wow. Talk about a boon for reconstructive and orthopedic surgery if they can come up with a highly stable biocompatible modeling resin. Virtually exact replacement parts! The mind boggles at the possibilities and opportunities.
 8)

-40hz (July 10, 2011, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

My mom recently had a life-altering, multiple bone injury and is currently recovering from surgery. Perhaps she could have used something like this. But, erm, I guess they'd need to somehow scan the bones before the injury to make good copies. But I guess in the meantime pins, rods, and cadaver bone tissues will have to do.

Stoic Joker:
I guess they'd need to somehow scan the bones before the injury to make good copies.
-Deozaan (July 11, 2011, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really, they could either scan (assuming a limb) the other side and transpose it before "printing". Or possibly scan the remaining fragments, jig-saw puzzle them back together (in virtual), and then "print" the completed result. Either way the result would be far more accurate than the current breed of erector-set style ("adjustable") one size fits all options.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your mom.

kyrathaba:
Sorry to hear about your mom.
--- End quote ---

+1.  Will keep her in my prayers, Deo.

Renegade:
Hmmm... Colors? Australian money is plastic... :P

40hz:
@Deo- sorry about you Mom. Having gone thru similar with mine, I can relate. Wish her my best. My best to you too. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version