ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (47/48) > >>

mahesh2k:
If someone follows you on G+, it means that your public posts will show up in their stream, nothing more. They would be able to see those public posts by going to your profile as well, that is the whole point of "public". There is no relation the other way unless you choose to follow them back.
--- End quote ---
Exactly.

One more thing why i hate G+ is that, your friends and family influence the search results. So this could be a problem if you're connected to any profile which is made by link spammer or annoying friend who constantly posts links or stuff. This includes many top social media celebs who post too many links in their activity streams every hour.

wraith808:
If someone follows you on G+, it means that your public posts will show up in their stream, nothing more. They would be able to see those public posts by going to your profile as well, that is the whole point of "public". There is no relation the other way unless you choose to follow them back.
--- End quote ---
Exactly.
-mahesh2k (August 15, 2011, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think his point was to be in opposition to your point.  The idea is, if you don't want people to see anything, don't share public.  Public is not limited by G+ in any way.  So don't use it.

One more thing why i hate G+ is that, your friends and family influence the search results. So this could be a problem if you're connected to any profile which is made by link spammer or annoying friend who constantly posts links or stuff. This includes many top social media celebs who post too many links in their activity streams every hour.
-mahesh2k (August 15, 2011, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
This only happens if you're connected to them.  If they're not in your circle, then you're not connected to them, as was quoted above.

G+ has problems (the real name thing is the biggest one- and with them being jerks about the whole thing after the fact, its worse), but this isn't one of them, IMO.

mahesh2k:
I think his point was to be in opposition to your point.  The idea is, if you don't want people to see anything, don't share public.  Public is not limited by G+ in any way.  So don't use it.
--- End quote ---
I think his point was not in opposition, infact i misunderstood friend feature thinking it was similar to facebook and orkut,which he pointed out in his reply. It's one way for public streams and can be controlled by the members. This point was cleared by you already but he just mentioned that where i misunderstood the friend activity of google+.

This only happens if you're connected to them.  If they're not in your circle, then you're not connected to them, as was quoted above.
--- End quote ---
Check the image again,they don't have to connect with you via G+ only. Even if you're in connection somehow using email or following them on G+ or blogger follow system etc, then this will affect SERP. For example, Matt cutts is connected to you in one way public stream activity but he's not going to follow you or many others, still his suggestions will appear in your SERP. Same goes with anyone with gmail account sending emails to you. You'll see the influence of their search pattern in your results page if they're searching google by logging in to any google service.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---
Check the image again,they don't have to connect with you via G+ only. Even if you're in connection somehow using email or following them on G+ or blogger follow system etc, then this will affect SERP. For example, Matt cutts is connected to you in one way public stream activity but he's not going to follow you or many others, still his suggestions will appear in your SERP. Same goes with anyone with gmail account sending emails to you. You'll see the influence of their search pattern in your results page if they're searching google by logging in to any google service.

-mahesh2k (August 16, 2011, 01:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

But you *are* connected to them.  If you follow their public stream, you're connected to them- they're just not connected to you.  And if they e-mail you, then I'd say that was a connection too.

I don't like the fact that they are using this information; that shows that they are mining my contacts for that, and I'd like a way to opt out of that.  But even with that caveat, you are connected.

mahesh2k:
Yeah, that is connection. I can't imagine people clicking on certain links and keywords (pr0n) and getting tagged in results. That surely going to mess things up in search engine. It'll also affect some users when they click on certain search terms and end up getting noticed by office colleagues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version