ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (4/48) > >>

zridling:
Will that be enough for it to gain traction? -Renegade (June 28, 2011, 11:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, no, yes. Facebook loves to censor content, and like MySpace, for the kiddies, it's showing its age (they like NEW things just for their newness, remember?). That said, even if Google+ were to fantastically carve 30% of FB's users, the next new thing would come along by then and the cycle would likely repeat itself. Don't know people who are loyal to FB as they are brands like Microsoft and Apple.

Lashiec:
Looks good, I guess. Otherwise, it does not seem to do anything Facebook can't do. If it gets enough traction, it's just another Google service I get to use, if it does not, well, I can easily ignore like I do with Buzz and Google Profiles. Ah, yes, yet another sound idea from Google that didn't get enough attention.

Thing is, I'm pretty ambivalent towards social networks. To me it's just another tool to stay in touch with friends, just like forums, IRC and instant messaging continue to be. But everyone insists on treating it like the next big thing despite being clear that there's no game changer here, with profound effects for the evolution of society at large, it's just another addition to a digital toolbox. I often wonder if the people building these things are so crazy about them as the diggerati always are, and if their experience or even their social life match the experience they're trying to market.

40hz:
It pays to remember Google's primary goal is to deliver advertisements and ad related services. And collect data on usage patterns which they sell back to advertisers.  

For Google, it's not a question of doing anything other than attracting and retaining eyeballs. Everything after that is secondary. They could care less about winning hearts. If a popular product or service emerges as a side effect of their main goal, all well and good as far as Google is concerned.  But it's not their primary objective which is to get your attention and analyze how you use the web.

Lashiec:
Well, a popular product has more chances of attracting and retaining eyeballs, doesn't it? :P

40hz:
^Absolutely. No doubt about it  ;D

My point was just that social networking would merely be a byproduct for Google, not their real business.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version