ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I Finally Bought a Kindle Book...

<< < (5/6) > >>

zridling:
It is strange and sad that we're moving from the universal and lifetime+ format of paper books to a corporate-controlled, DRM, proprietary set of formats for many books. If one ever had the fantasy that technology would free the world and make things better, corporations didn't get the message.

Carol Haynes:
An update to UK law is on the way, and I'd be surprised if the plan to legalise "format shifting" does not apply to ebooks as well as music and films. I think stripping DRM from legally purchased products will become as common as copying CDs. And the DRM debate will gently fade away...
-johnk (July 06, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting article but the phrase 'believe it when I see it' springs to mind. The movie industry in particular had enough clout in the UK to make it illegal to even possess the means to break DRM on DVDs - you don't have to do it just have the means to, and it doesn't matter if you own a title and just want to make a backup (even if it still includes the DRM) that is now illegal.

A new framework will be proposed to parliament but I'll bet you anything it won't get passed if allowing the breaking of DRM is going to be included. The way the movie industry will get around that is to say you can buy another digital copy - and they are already selling combo DVD/BR/digital packs of new movies precisely to head of any changes in the law in the EU and US.

Renegade:
An update to UK law is on the way, and I'd be surprised if the plan to legalise "format shifting" does not apply to ebooks as well as music and films. I think stripping DRM from legally purchased products will become as common as copying CDs. And the DRM debate will gently fade away...
-johnk (July 06, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting article but the phrase 'believe it when I see it' springs to mind. The movie industry in particular had enough clout in the UK to make it illegal to even possess the means to break DRM on DVDs - you don't have to do it just have the means to, and it doesn't matter if you own a title and just want to make a backup (even if it still includes the DRM) that is now illegal.

A new framework will be proposed to parliament but I'll bet you anything it won't get passed if allowing the breaking of DRM is going to be included. The way the movie industry will get around that is to say you can buy another digital copy - and they are already selling combo DVD/BR/digital packs of new movies precisely to head of any changes in the law in the EU and US.
-Carol Haynes (July 07, 2011, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

That law strikes me as just bizarre. (I think it's a result of DeCSS.)

If I buy a shirt, why would it be illegal for me to take out the stitching? Or if I buy a Roots shirt and a Polo shirt, to swap the labels? Or remove the labels?

CDs don't come with an EULA, and you don't sign anything, so why should you be bound?

Ok. Devil's advocate time over. :)

40hz:
It is strange and sad that we're moving from the universal and lifetime+ format of paper books to a corporate-controlled, DRM, proprietary set of formats for many books. If one ever had the fantasy that technology would free the world and make things better, corporations didn't get the message.
-zridling (July 07, 2011, 12:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh I think they got the message just fine.

Unfortunately, their response to the message is: "We'll soon put a stop to this nonsense."  :-\

johnk:
The way the movie industry will get around that is to say you can buy another digital copy - and they are already selling combo DVD/BR/digital packs of new movies precisely to head of any changes in the law in the EU and US.
-Carol Haynes (July 07, 2011, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm more optimistic than you, Carol. The movie/music industries realise that the law is discredited, and have said that they want reform, including the legalisation of copies made for personal use (but stopping short of the American principle of "fair use"). They have also made it clear, on the record, that no one will be prosecuted for making copies for personal use (under the existing law).

And when the new law is framed, I can't imagine it will discriminate between making legal copies of DVDs and ebooks. Both are copy-protected, after all, so to legalise personal copies the law will have to legalise stripping copy protection for personal copies. I can't imagine how the new law could differentiate between breaking copy protection on a DVD and breaking other forms of copy protection we now call DRM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version