ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Looking for Browser Add-in/Plug-in/Extension Plaforms - Advice?

<< < (2/2)

ecaradec:
The most common way of communicating with the desktop is to open a server in your desktop app and then to request json file thought <script> tag injection. I think that's the most common way. I think that this is what snarl do. I've also seen browser extension do this, though I can't remember their name (they used websocket then ), but just injecting script tag will work anyway.

The second way is to register a browser protocol. That'll only allow you to communicate one-way, from the browser to the app, but not the other way around. Chrome doesn't even allow you to know if the operation succeded or failed.

The gorgeous solution is to create an extension for each browser that allows you to communicate with your desktop app, I wouldn't recommend that solution, because there is some annoying OS protection between IE and Vista / 7 and various other issues, but I can give you some tips if you really want to go that way.

I'll personnally vote for the first solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version