topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Drive Dock: Turn bare drives into floppies  (Read 23584 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Drive Dock: Turn bare drives into floppies
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 01:39 AM »
There are many different models like all those on http://www.usbgeek.com, S&H are low and I find them quite reliable.  I admit though that the white dock shown by zridling is looking nicer !
.merle1.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 05:02 AM »
I have a similar 'cable' USB device which allows you to plug in IDE, SATA or laptop 2.5" IDE drives.

See http://www.amazon.co...idos/ASIN/B000Q5YW76

4134HVGSMFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Not the prettiest setup but quick and easy for connecting any drive quickly.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:05 AM by Carol Haynes »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 07:02 PM »
This product "complains" rather than "complies", but it seems to be touted as a feature  ;D

advertError2.png
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:04 PM by kyrathaba »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21 PM »
in some ways it's nice to have an all in one combining dock+usb+card reader, BUT this is often a path to pain, when one or more parts stops working well.

there are a ton of sata hard drive docks, and i personally think everyone should have one.

newegg is a good place to buy since the user reviews are excellent:
http://www.newegg.co...dock&x=0&y=0

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I have an old Samsung SpinPoint 80Gb IDE drive that would do just fine for backing up my most important files (photos, C# projects, etc.)  What I'd really like to find is an enclosure for it that offers one-touch backup of any directories on my laptop that I've specified.

I don't really care whether I'm dealing with firmware or software, but I'd just like to be able to stick this 80Gb HDD is a box, push a button, and it begins backing up "Pictures"... "Visual Studio Projects"... etc.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14 PM »
I have an old Samsung SpinPoint 80Gb IDE drive that would do just fine for backing up my most important files (photos, C# projects, etc.)  What I'd really like to find is an enclosure for it that offers one-touch backup of any directories on my laptop that I've specified.

I don't really care whether I'm dealing with firmware or software, but I'd just like to be able to stick this 80Gb HDD is a box, push a button, and it begins backing up "Pictures"... "Visual Studio Projects"... etc.

batch file....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04 PM »
there are a ton of sata hard drive docks

I can recommend the Thermaltake BlacX Duet SATA dock.  :Thmbsup:

Excellent quality, inexpensive, must-have accessory if you do any kind of PC hardware support or repair work. (Or if you need to scrub a particularly resilient piece of malware off somebody's boot drive.) Prices vary widely so be sure to shop around for it. List is $49.99 USD. But last time I needed another one I ended up scoring two on sale for $22 each. I would have bought more at that price but they were the last two in stock where I got it.

:)

------------
@kyrathaba -Very nice find. Haven't seen one of those before. Caveats aside, I like the fact it's an all-in-one. If they just added in a 6-port USB hub it would be the perfect addition to a technician's field kit. And a lot less to carry.  8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:15 PM by 40hz »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Yes, I really like the Thermaltake BlacX Duet SATA.  Very sharp.  But I don't think it'd work with my old drive, which is IDE.

If they just added in a 6-port USB hub it would be the perfect addition to a technician's field kit.

+1

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 09:44 PM »
But I don't think it'd work with my old drive, which is IDE.

It won't. It's strictly SATA. Straight EIDE docks seem to have disappeared recently. Thermaltake used to make a companion EIDE version OF the BlacX. But I haven't seen one in years so I'm guessing it's been discontinued.

Startech still makes a dual IDE/SATA docking station, but it's fairly pricey.

I had an IDE dock. But it died about a year ago. What I now use is the guts from an old external USB drive enclosure that I leave the cover off of. Not as convenient to use as a real dock. But it does help recycle some of those old dead external IDE drives. Which is a lot greener than tossing them in the trash.
 8)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51 PM »
I have an old Samsung SpinPoint 80Gb IDE drive that would do just fine for backing up my most important files

I'd just get an inexpensive SATA drive to replace the the 80GB drive and be done with it...