ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Kyrathaba's Hangman

<< < (10/28) > >>

kyrathaba:
I'm using HelpNDoc to generate my PDF help file.  Do you guys prefer PDF as the help file format, or would CHM be preferable?

Because CHM compresses the internal HTML, its file size is smaller than the corresponding PDF, but I wondered if CHM is natively supported by all versions of Windows, whereas I know that PDF support is nearly ubiquitous.  Can't remember the last time I found a system that didn't have some sort of PDF reader software installed.

Deozaan:
I'm using HelpNDoc to generate my PDF help file.  Do you guys prefer PDF as the help file format, or would CHM be preferable?

Because CHM compresses the internal HTML, its file size is smaller than the corresponding PDF, but I wondered if CHM is natively supported by all versions of Windows, whereas I know that PDF support is nearly ubiquitous.  Can't remember the last time I found a system that didn't have some sort of PDF reader software installed.
-kyrathaba (July 01, 2011, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't believe I've ever had a problem opening a CHM file, and I've never had to actively search out a plugin or software to open it. This is opposite to my experience with PDF. I personally don't like PDF, but that's just one person's opinion.

Ath:
Do you guys prefer PDF as the help file format, or would CHM be preferable?
-kyrathaba (July 01, 2011, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I was quite surprised you use pdf for help contents, as that's rather non-standard, AFAICS. The biggest pest being the non-availability of a pdf viewer on Windows by default. The chm format is supported at least from XP and up, and I hope nobody is using an older Windows version any longer :tellme:
The biggest advantage of chm is that you can jump to the correct information in the file to show really context sensitive information :up:, to do that with pdf would require a specific reader that does support that even from external applications, and I'm quite sure that isn't standardized in any way.

kyrathaba:
Very well!  Version 1.0.3.6 is available, and changes PDF format to CHM for Help file.  Thanks for the feedback.

kyrathaba:
This has the added benefit of reducing the setup file from 1.51 Mb to 1.16 Mb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version