ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Filenotes for Downloading Amnesiacs

<< < (2/5) > >>

nudone:
if you allow acdsee to show 'all' files (turn off the filter) you can use it to add notes to any file you like (i don't think there is a limit character either???) - then use acdsee like a 'file manager/explorer', with 'thumbs + details' mode turned on. it has all the virtual folder type things and there's no reason why you have to stick to just 'rating' and adding 'keynotes' to image files. now that i think about it, these features could be quite useful though it would have to be well maintained.

some of the other features of 'file notes organizer' do look nice.

nevf:
Hi Patteo,
Here's a suggestion - use Surfulater. Grab whatever content from the page into a new Surfulater article, add some notes then download the file and use Article | Attach File... This stores the file in the Surfulater database so you can even delete it from your PC if you want.

What you finish up with is a link to the original site, detailed information on the product including the complete web page if you want and the download file, all neatly put together in one convenient place. Then just click on the file to open it.

Down the track we'll be adding Reminders which will enable Surfulater to prompt you in a week, a month on June 6th etc. to go and install that download you've been meaning to try.

As an aside I'd strongly encourage everyone to use a product such as VMWare or MS Virtual PC when trying out all these endlessly interesting applications, as you never know what sort of mess the leave behind on your PC when (if) you uninstall them or what problems they may create in the first place. If your PC is at all important to you please seriously consider this.

Darwin:
Another step you can take to keep your PC clean when testing out downloaded software is to install it in a sandbox. You can do this for free with sandboxie and it works, most of the time...

http://www.sandboxie.com/

It's freeware, though the author does accept donations. Good user forum that is frequented by the author (tzuk) as well.

ADDED IN EDIT: note that the apps original purpose was to sandbox IE, hence sandboxie. It also works with Maxthon and has the added benefit of being able to sandbox ANY application and can be used to install apps into a sandbox.

nudone:
what a brillaint idea for a program. going to give 'sandboxie' a try - the potential could be quite amazing. thanks darwin for mentioning it.

patteo:
Hi Patteo,
Here's a suggestion - use Surfulater. Grab whatever content from the page into a new Surfulater article, add some notes then download the file and use Article | Attach File... This stores the file in the Surfulater database so you can even delete it from your PC if you want.

What you finish up with is a link to the original site, detailed information on the product including the complete web page if you want and the download file, all neatly put together in one convenient place. Then just click on the file to open it.

Down the track we'll be adding Reminders which will enable Surfulater to prompt you in a week, a month on June 6th etc. to go and install that download you've been meaning to try.

-nevf (March 09, 2006, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is certainly an idea worth considering.

I do wonder if it will make the database a bit too big since a download can sometimes be quite large.

Right now I have a download directory which is why I need to annotate the downloaded files.

After a while I tend to move the files into another directory & categorise them at the same time. When I move the files, the filenotes automatically move if I have the file detection service installed.

I will certainly give a bit more thought to using Surfulater for this purpose. Only thing is whether there is a way to associate a file without actually saving the file into Surfulater database and whether there
is a way to move a file (if not in Surfulater database) and still maintain the link with the details saved in Surfulater. (That may be a tall order)

In any case, I would say that Surfulater is a great application for those of you who have yet to try it. Certainly for those who surf the web regularly, this is one really useful application you should not be without. And I have only scratched the surface and not really taken enough trouble to explore it yet. But even then, it can be really useful "right out of the box" without you having to delve deeper into it.

I find it to be very stable and useful. And Neville has been very responsive in responding to posts in the forums.

Take note though that unless you are a registered user of Surfulater, you cannot access all sections of the forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version