ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Filenotes for Downloading Amnesiacs

(1/5) > >>

patteo:
Do you have this problem with download amnesia ?

You are busily surfing download sites, you see an interesting download at www.lifehacker.com or wherever, and you download them over a period of weeks/months.

And you told yourself that one of these days you are going to install and try them.

But :o now the "That" day of reckoning has arrived. You see all the .exe and zip files with cryptic names, you cannot for the life of you remember why you downloaded them in the first place or even where you got them from.

There's a solution www.filenotes.com

But it does have some problems with a 3rd party file detection service it uses that conflicts with some software I use.

But it can still be used effectively without this file detection service although with some incovenience.

Some have claimed that the 3rd party file detection service multiappnt.exe contributes to system instability leading to BSOD Bad_Pool_Header. You can read about this in their forum. I have experiend the BSOD problems although I cannot say for certain it's due to this.

As a result, I now use the program without the file detection service.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of another way to annotate files with filenotes easliy besides those below:

Xplorer2 Professional  www.zabkat.com

xplorer2 allows you to annotate files although the annotation:
"add comments to any file, providing it's on an NTFS partition. These comments are different from file-internal comment/preview features of some files like Word or Excel. They are strored in an alternate data stream (ADS), and can be added/edited from x2 with Alt+Z.
Yes they are limited; but 257 characters seems like a lot to me. "

Filenotes Professional Edition (I have not tried this)
http://home.flash.net/~jmosier/FileNotes/index.htm

Darwin:
Hi Patteo,

There's a PCMag app that lets you annotate files (ExplorerNotes: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,116403,00.asp). I don't know if this app runs under WinXP or not...

DOpus *might* let  you do this but I don't know for sure. It's a *killer* file management app and is available with a donationcoder discount of 50%, so worth a closer look.

Hope this helps,

Mike

rjbull:
I'm also wondering if anyone knows of another way to annotate files with filenotes easliy
-patteo (March 09, 2006, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Total Commander.  Ctrl-Z gives you a box to type in that's compatible with 4DOS-style DESCRIPT.ION files ( I suspect that's where your 257 character limit comes from, but could be wrong).  I try to remember to capture a short-form description from the file's Web site to use.  If you enable it in Options, TC will copy the description when it copies the file to anothr location.  Pressing Shift-Control-F2 on a directory listing shows you file name and comment. 

An old DOS program, DEDIT, part of the INKUTILS, INK153.EXE available from the Free Software for DOS Web site is another non-4DOS way of maintaining DESCRIPT.IONs.

brotherS:
You are busily surfing download sites, you see an interesting download at www.lifehacker.com or wherever, and you download them over a period of weeks/months.

[...]

But :o now the "That" day of reckoning has arrived. You see all the .exe and zip files with cryptic names, you cannot for the life of you remember why you downloaded them in the first place or even where you got them from.
-patteo (March 09, 2006, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's why I'm always renaming downloads to have the file name display exactly what's in it!  :Thmbsup:

Makes keeping track of versions far more easy too, my installer files are named like this:

FastStone Image Viewer 2.4 Beta 3
MediaMonkey 2.5.2.948 RC2
AutoHotkey 1.0.42.03
CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) 1.27.260

etc.

patteo:
That's why I'm always renaming downloads to have the file name display exactly what's in it!  :Thmbsup:

Makes keeping track of versions far more easy too, my installer files are named like this:

FastStone Image Viewer 2.4 Beta 3
MediaMonkey 2.5.2.948 RC2
AutoHotkey 1.0.42.03
CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) 1.27.260

-brotherS (March 09, 2006, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

The only problem is you cannot associate one or more urls with a file and you will have to Google for it. Over time, you may not be able to find the exact site you downloaded it from together with the associated description or review etc or put in information about a site that referred you to this file.

These are all useful information I would like to retain that renaming cannot achieve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version