ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is Mozilla trying to do?

(1/11) > >>

eleman:
I waited for a while to jump on the bandwagon of Firefox 4, to give some time to add-on authors to adapt to the version change. When I finally made the jump on June 1st, one of the add-ons I use (linkification) was still not updated to work with FF4. I know this is about the developer of the add-on, rather than Mozilla, but the version change did certainly not help.

Now they bumped the version number to 5. Four more add-ons I use will be out of service with this update. Is it worth the change one wonders.

If I preferred to use a browser that changed the major version number every quarter just like Chrome does, I would use Chrome. Wouldn't I?

Why is Mozilla adopting this weird scheme of development, do you have any idea?

I don't need a fresh add-on compatibility nightmare every three months, so I'll not upgrade. Will you?

p3lb0x:
I have upgraded to version 5 and so far I have seen no real difference. I am not a very avid user of plugins so the incompatibility was not a concern for me. I can honestly say that I have no clue what they changed.

Curt:
Linkification was updated for FF4 "long ago". Why Mozilla doesn't reflect this, I don't know. Go to http://yellow5.us/firefox/linkification/ for version 1.3.9

eleman:
Linkification was updated for FF4 "long ago". Why Mozilla doesn't reflect this, I don't know. Go to http://yellow5.us/firefox/linkification/ for version 1.3.9
-Curt (June 23, 2011, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I know about that update, but I made a habit of using only add-ons which had undergone review by Mozilla (if the code is beyond my ability to understand).

daddydave:
Now they bumped the version number to 5. Four more add-ons I use will be out of service with this update. Is it worth the change one wonders
-eleman (June 23, 2011, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Firefox 4 drove me to Chrome for a while because it broke so many add-ons. Of course, I found Chrome add-ons to be never quite as good as the Firefox ones, so I figured they may as well be broken also. When I came back to Firefox 4, most of the addons were fixed (or I had become less dependent on them.) Don't care about Firefox 5 at the moment.

I am developing a toilet theory of web browsers:

Firefox = the Japanese super toilet of web browsers -- every possible add-on is available
Chrome = the outhouse of web browsers, for those like to just quickly do their business
Internet Explorer = the American Standard toilet, for people who want to stay in their comfort zone and keep the defaults.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version