ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is Mozilla trying to do?

<< < (6/11) > >>

phitsc:
Yeah, I know. Manually changing the respective file just sucks though.

Carol Haynes:
Yeah, I know. Manually changing the respective file just sucks though.
-phitsc (July 14, 2011, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes I know - but the trouble is that most addons are from third party developers (often loan programmers) and free so there isn't a huge incentive to keep updating the files themselves.

When Firefox was originally released the versioning method for addons was a good idea - it mean that developers could only release addons for Firefox versions that exist and can be tested.

Trouble is now that Mozilla has gone version number mad many developers are releasing addons with compat version numbers set too high. I have seen some addons saying they are Firefox 8 compat - presumably they have a crystal ball.

At least forcing you to take note that the version isn't officially supported means that you can check an addon works as expected.

Try installing Mr Tech Toolkit from http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/toolkit.xpi which allows overriding version checking on an extension by extension basis.

limelect:
Do you know that you can FORCE the add on to work with a new firefox BUT with the old
code.There are at list 2 ways to do that.
Which mean that even the version change you can still work with the add on.
Well Google search the subject.

Carol Haynes:
Actually the simplest method is to turn off compatibility checking.

In Firefox go to about:config (in the address bar) and in the filter box type compatibility.

You should see something like:

Just double click a setting to toggle its value from True to False and back.

eleman:
Here is an article by someone who had given more thought into the issue than I did. The gist of the argument is that there is no substantial reason to make changes in the browser, and change just for the sake of change is not a good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version