ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

Gentlemen (and Ladies), Start Your Engines!!

<< < (4/8) > >>

kyrathaba:
Just a report on progress toward our NANY 2012 goals, everyone:

We are hoping to obtain at least 50 pledges.  So far, we've had 13 (posts shown as early Beta releases are implicitly understood to have been pledged), although one was withdrawn.  So we're 26% of the way to our goal of 50 pledges.  There are only 54 days remaining until the pledge deadline at 11:59:59 PM Greenwich Mean Time on December 07, 2011.  So, we really need to start getting in more pledges.  I encourage every coder to submit a pledge.  If you don't have an idea for an application, there are several ideas/requests on the main NANY 2012 forum page.

tranglos:
We are hoping to obtain at least 50 pledges. -kyrathaba (October 13, 2011, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's probably too late by now to change this, but I think we may be setting ourselves up for a failure (or an undeserved perception of one) by setting the bar that high. Seriously, who said the number of pledges must be greater each year than the year before? Look around you - everyone - to see where the blind push for growth at any price has landed us :)

I'm quite serious here. While it would certainly be impressive to have 50 or 100 new apps, it's probably unrealistic to expect that, and most of all, it is irrelevant. Who are we competing with, anyway?

At one point someone (mouser? can't recall) suggested that this year's NANY strive for more polished, more complete or "bigger" apps. That may well be a good idea; my own release last year was way premature, for example. But overall, I suggest we don't put undue emphasis on competition and sheer numbers, there's enough of that in the world as it is!

mouser:
I had the same thought.

50 seems overly ambitious by a wide margin to me too.. I'd be thrilled with 20.

As Tranglos says, trying to get more and more each year might be a recipe for disappointment.

But what I don't know is if there is any downside to aiming for 50 -- as long as everyone realizes it's nothing to be sad about if we don't come close.  And I admire Kyrathaba's spirit.

Bottom line though is I don't think it matters too much how many we aim for -- NANY is supposed to be an enjoyable thing for those who participate.  So if 5 people participate or 50, it's all good.

[having said that -- i think the programmers who hang out on DC should consider it their duty to release something; if you miss 2 years in a row you will receive a black mark from Cody]

cranioscopical:
[having said that -- i think the programmers who hang out on DC should consider it their duty to release something; if you miss 2 years in a row you will receive a black mark from Cody]
-mouser (October 13, 2011, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
So don't look up!

kyrathaba:
Thanks for the comments, all.

I agree that we're not in a competition with anyone.  But given the size of DC's membership (and even accounting for the fact that only a small minority of that number are coders), I think 50 is not an unreasonable number of pledges toward which to strive. I might also mention that there hasn't really been any set goal in the past in terms of how many pledges we'd like to get: we just encourage everyone to pledge and then follow-up with a release.  And while there's nothing wrong with that, I think some people are more motivated by a hard number.  They say "Hmm, we're 26% of the way there?  I'm gonna pledge; I bet I can make that 27%..."

I think that, in a fun sort of way, we're competing with ourselves, but I agree with you tranglos that our primary aim is quality, not quantity.  Having said that, I think if we encourage and cajole, perhaps we wind up, in the final analysis, with a few more quality apps than we might have otherwise.

Bottom line though is I don't think it matters too much how many we aim for -- NANY is supposed to be an enjoyable thing for those who participate.  So if 5 people participate or 50, it's all good.
--- End quote ---

+1.  And my encouragement to pledge is more out of my own enthusiasm, and hoping to infect others with that same enthusiasm, than with any belief that we must have MORE.

Hope that clarifies my position.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version