ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Indexing Option - Feedback Requested

<< < (13/15) > >>

skajfes:
I think that it would be better to tap into the USN journal like Everything just to get the filenames or windows search index to get the content index also than to implement it all over again. There is a windows search plugin already but for me it consistently crashes FARR (win7 x64).

I use FARR to quickly find commonly used files and folders. If I need to search the entire disk I use Everything (with FARR alias to trigger it on double space at the end). Only time I use windows search index is to search for emails.

For me, index in FARR is not really necessary, as I rarely search the entire disk for just one file (ie. i search for multiple log files, or a group of images etc) and FARR cant' handle multiple files selection and manipulation (as far as I know).

soulwanderer:
A little late to the party, but I'll explain how I do it:
i) I use FARR to launch, and have a couple of directories with links to tools (to make FARR run faster)
ii) When I want to search a file, when i remember part of the name, i use everything

How would I like FARR to index? Easy, I would love if FARR scanned the directories configured on startup (or maybe a subset of them, a check to cache...) so my tools folders would allways be indexed and work blazing fast, and when there is no match (or I dealy on clicking) it'll keep on searching on other folders...

mouser:
My plan is to have FARR move from v2 to v3 with the addition of (OPTIONAL) indexing this year (2012).

Cel:
im considering moving to FARR, away from years of advanced use of Launchy, but my main use case is launching documents from amongst thousands of candidates, so indexing of pre-selected locations is really key for it to be on par with Launchy - what's the current situation with respect to indexing in July 2013?
im looking for a launcher that is actively developed and covers what Launchy does, and would be interested to contribute.

ta!

Josh:
My plan is to have FARR move from v2 to v3 with the addition of (OPTIONAL) indexing this year (2012).
-mouser (July 06, 2012, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Almost 3/4 the way through 2013 :-/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version