ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Indexing Option - Feedback Requested

<< < (12/15) > >>

Armando:
Everything is great when it is working.... but it continually breaks down here. My D:\ drive is my data drive - all data and media files are there. It is the largest and most used drive of the several I have. And Everything drops it at least two or three times a week! I mean, I get some results on D:\ drive, but mostly it ignores it. Settings are correct, the drive is healthy, and Everything initially indexes it along with the others. But then - it decides not to search it any more. No error mentioned in its errorlog.

No other utility or program does this with D:, so I Don’t know why Everything has a problem with it. I do notice though that a few others mention the same issue on their forum, and it is always D:\ drive.

So c'mon mouser!

Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (January 03, 2012, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, Everything isn't bullet proof : I do experience problems with it too, from time to time (same as the other indexers : files can't be found, etc.) the problem seems to be that the journal or index isn't updated properly. Closing everything / re indexing the drives (which is still pretty fast) solves the problem.

murdock01:
Mouser,
  I really like the way Farr works now, without an index. I dont want to have to re-index everytime I use Farr on a new machine; I use it from a usb. An option to turn on an index would be an option but how about this:
Have it search the Master File Table just like you search the start menu directory. Why create an index of files when the file system already has one.
I refer you to: http://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/
This is a search program that does search MFT. Please check it out. Maybe you can incorporate something like this instead of calling out to another program like everything.
Hope this helps.

JavaJones:
I'm pretty sure MFT-based searching is what we're talking about here, but it still requires creating and maintaining an index/database for faster searching.

- Oshyan

Scott_Y:
Previously when entering a search string could be so slow, yes, I thought indexing would be a good thing to speed up FARR. But now that Armando has solved that problem ( https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29756.0 ) I don't wish for indexing any more. But my search needs are not very demanding.

tory55:
As a total newbie to FARR... and as one who has clearly not investigated all the remarkable features of this program...I hope my input may still be worthwhile.

I have temporarily migrated to Win from Linux where I used a similar,  and much less mature program called Synapse. It uses a third-party background daemon to index content by type (app / audio/ video / image/  document). I believe it also schedules a raw indexing of dir/file names daily, using cron and updatedb.

The hot key dialog (Ctrl-Alt) lets me 1) quickly choose the content type from a small menu bar , and  2) provides a text field to key in the file/ dir name  I'm searching for.

These days, intuitive search for video vs. audio vs. images vs. apps vs. text is becoming a natural approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version