ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Indexing Option - Feedback Requested

<< < (10/15) > >>

phitsc:
My only gripe is that it still crashes farr too often in my specific case (using XP sp3). I know I'm not the majority (and for those without any stability problems, I wonder why they don't use it... It's SUPER FAST). If only I knew what did it (the problem), I'd use it much more. More than "Everything" as I don't have the accentuated chars problem with Windows Search...
-Armando (November 15, 2011, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not good :( I'll try using it more often in the coming days, in order to try to reproduce a crash.

JavaJones:
Strange, my experiences with Windows Search have been consistently awful, ever since Vista and including Win7. Maybe I should give it another try, but it's hard to trust it after blatantly missing files I was clearly and easily able to find with other tools (and simple folder browsing).

Everything is certainly not the only indexer/search option, it's just the best and fastest, in my experience (by far). As for its status, sure it's a good indexer already, so what more needs to be done, right? Well, how about icons/thumbnails for file types, for example? On the developer's list, I know that much, but after a year of no updates, well one starts to wonder if anything more will ever happen. How important is it? Not terribly, I guess, but future OS or file system upgrades may break it, for example. It's a real bummer when you come to rely deeply on a tool - and Everything is exactly the kind of tool that gets deep into your regular computer experience - and then it goes away. Hard to adjust.

- Oshyan

IainB:
Neologism.
What is the name for a computer tool/gadget/widget/program (ß or otherwise) that:

* you start to use,
* then you find that it becomes something which you depend on, it is so good,
* so you abandon the other lesser tools that you previously used and that it replaces, and that you used to depend on,
* then the provider of the tool fails to support/develop it further,
* and removes support for it altogether,
* and pulls the rug out from underneath you,
* leaving you in a vacuum, bereft of any hope of a replacement,
* with the lingering feeling that you have somehow been used, experimented with or ripped off?
Is it abandonware? Nope, it is something more/worse than that.

My suggestion: it's "googleware".

In this thread, Google Desktop Search is an example, and so (apparently) might Everything be.

Armando:
Strange, my experiences with Windows Search have been consistently awful, ever since Vista and including Win7. Maybe I should give it another try, but it's hard to trust it after blatantly missing files I was clearly and easily able to find with other tools (and simple folder browsing).

Everything is certainly not the only indexer/search option, it's just the best and fastest, in my experience (by far). As for its status, sure it's a good indexer already, so what more needs to be done, right? Well, how about icons/thumbnails for file types, for example? On the developer's list, I know that much, but after a year of no updates, well one starts to wonder if anything more will ever happen. How important is it? Not terribly, I guess, but future OS or file system upgrades may break it, for example. It's a real bummer when you come to rely deeply on a tool - and Everything is exactly the kind of tool that gets deep into your regular computer experience - and then it goes away. Hard to adjust.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (November 18, 2011, 09:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know what the problem could be with windows search. I haven't thoroughly tested it [Edit: well, I did, but not recently], but it seems reliable here. Note that i use it only to 1- index file names and properties, 2- fully index Outlook's PST.

Usually what happens with Windows Search is that (at least on XP) some folders/file have the file indexing feature specifically disabled. To change that you have to basically deselect the "Allow Indexing Service to Index this disk for fast file searching" in the drive's/folder's property, Cancel the deselection process when it starts, and then reselect it and let it do its job. That solved the unreachable files problems on my side, a while ago.

But maybe you've tried all that already, and the problem is elsewhere.

As far as everything goes... Well, I haven't said it is "the" solution. And I agree with the all the points you make. But would farr need all those everything features, or would it need only its indexing capabilities ? (BTW, here I get icons with the everything plugin for farr, but maybe I misunderstood what you're saying.)

Armando:
Is it abandonware? Nope, it is something more/worse than that.

My suggestion: it's "googleware".

In this thread, Google Desktop Search is an example, and so (apparently) might Everything be.
-IainB (November 18, 2011, 10:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK Google do have a three years "deprecation period" for their "out of the lab" products. And those 3 years aren't set in stone and could transform into more years, depending on the APIs popularity. That said, it wouldn't be a smart move to start using GDS now that it's been discontinued, but for those using it, it's not "dead" per se. It's just... dying. :)

In any case, I never liked Google Desktop search... In my extensive personal tests (while I was doing research for my PhD.), GDS missed a lot of content. The only desktop search software that didn't miss a thing was Archivarius. So I use Archivarius for content indexing (except for Outlook, which it indexes much too slowly for my taste) & windows search/everything for all file names and Outlook indexing. (Archivarius is far from being as user friendly as the other Desktop search software out there, and it doesn't index in real time -- you need to set it on a schedule... But it works well and is reliable -- and that was my main priority.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version