ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Indexing Option - Feedback Requested

<< < (7/15) > >>

Armando:
Eheh. I see.

IainB:
An update to my earlier post in this thread where, in answer to your OP I requested an interface to Google Desktop Search.

Since GDS is now moribund, I would just go back to your 2nd comment in the thread:
Maybe I should focus on adding whatever i need to add to farr to allow a plugin to seamlessly take over file system searching, and then let others write specific plugins for Everything, Locate, Windows Desktop Search, that will do the actual work.
-mouser (June 22, 2011, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

+ 1 from me for that idea.     :Thmbsup:

This is mainly because I can't really see any need to rewrite/duplicate whatever other already perfectly good search/indexing engines that people may have available and are likely to be using. For example, having turned off GDS, I now use the Win7-64 indexing for pretty much everything - it is very efficient, and effective. Keeping potential system overhead/duplication down to a minimum is probably an advisable approach.

JavaJones:
Funny, I would have agreed with "don't duplicate effort" a year or two ago, but now that Everything - my favorite instant search app - has been so slow to update for so long, seeming nearly abandoned, and so many other similar apps are being cancelled, abandoned, etc. (Google Desktop, Yahoo Desktop, etc.), I'm actually in favor of having a reliable dev whom I know (mouser) tackle this problem and keep the app updated! With the popularity of Everything, if FARR could match it for speed and features in terms of file search, while also having all its other capabilities, well it'd be a pretty "killer app" and I think such a feature would actually help drive FARR adoption quite a lot. People might start just for the quick file indexing and search, that's the first taste of the drug that is FARR, but over time they could realize how much more it can do and it'd become indispensable. All that is to say that I think a lightning quick full hard drive indexed search tool is more universally appealing than a type-to-launch app like FARR is.

As for Windows Search/Indexing, my god I've never found it to be anything but appallingly slow, inefficient, and just plain incapable of finding my files. I mean shockingly so. This started with Windows Vista (XP's file search wasn't great, but at least it found all files). Vista file searches suddenly weren't turning up files I *knew* were there! Very strange. I had hoped Win7 would fix it but it didn't. So now I just use Everything and XYPlorer (which I won a license for on DC many moons ago!).

- Oshyan

Josh:
I am with JJ on this one. I have been of the mindset that a core indexing option should be developed that is INTEGRATED into FARR or developed as a plugin and maintained by mouser. The issue with plugins by 3rd parties is that if the developer loses interest, functionality will inevitably break and the users will be out that functionality. But as long as mouser continues to develop and maintain FARR, we can expect indexing to continue to work. This is part of the reason I would prefer to not see reliance on a 3rd party program but instead see this functionality built into FARR or implemented as a core plugin to FARR, so those who do not want it can do without it.

JavaJones:
For some reason I think there is particularly high turnover in the search/indexing market too, perhaps because it was a "hot topic" a few years back so a bunch of seemingly unrelated companies (Yahoo, Google) as well as many individual coders jumped into the fray, and now we're seeing things settle down to just a few providers. Still somehow the best of them (Everything) isn't nearly as well supported as I'd like it to be. Maybe the market for those tools just isn't what I thought it was, but I sure do love Everything - more, I will admit, than FARR, though I love FARR too. I'd almost like Everything-esque functionality in FARAR (and yes I know there are FARR plugins to integrate EV) to get me to use FARR more. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version