ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Indexing Option - Feedback Requested

<< < (3/15) > >>

yjs14:
Everything SDK???

I'm using FAT32 file system in my WinXp. :-\

Is there other indexing option for FAT32... :(

justauser:
before switching to FARR I used Executor and the thing I miss is the integrated search.   Speed is what is important and so I'd say do tight integration and caching.  Allow the user to specify which folders are searched/cached and depth as well as extensions.  Option 2 seems a reasonable approach.

I've tried some of the plugins and didn't have great success and so I'd not favor that approach.

IainB:
@mouser: You might like to include the idea of having a FARR interface to GDS (Google Desktop Search).

I have been interested in using FARR to integrate my desktop search for some time.
For example, at the risk of repetition:        ;)
If a FARR search plugin could usefully include Google Desktop Search that could be v-e-r-y interesting - I use GDS quite a lot. It is brilliant. :Thmbsup:
-IainB (May 06, 2009, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had been looking at the FARR plugin "GoogleSuggest", and someone suggested (no pun intended) that I try GooglePlus out.
So I installed it just now, and it runs fine and I think it's a great plugin.

However, I would like the option to be able to feed my search parameters through to Google Desktop and so search my local hard drive.
Is there some way I could do this?
-IainB (January 08, 2010, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I should explain that I use GDS because it is the most efficient and effective desktop search tool that I have come across (including the short-lived AltaVista desktop product) and:
(a) it indexes all my desktop documents (a mandatory requirement);
(b) it indexes my Outlook email - when I am obliged to use Outlook (a mandatory requirement);
(c) it integrates its search with Gmail (a mandatory requirement);
(d) it integrates its index across all my disparate computer desktops (a mandatory requirement).

For these and other reasons it is leagues ahead of other search tools, including Windows Search and the constipated Microsoft Windows indexing that is necessitated by that.
-IainB (January 08, 2010, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that searches in Gmail automatically include searches of your documents in Google docs, we are getting closer to search Nirvana for this user at any rate.     :)

By the way, nowadays, I use GDS and the Windows 7 indexing/search - I have reluctantly enabled the latter overhead because it seemed it could be quite useful (and it is) in the START windows search, and, as I have a fast i7 processor and fast (7,200rpm) hard drive, I thought it might not seem slow. However, compared to GDS it is still a noticeably constipated resource hog - this is because I require indexing of file names, file content and any associated meta-data. I think the indexing algorithm for GDS must be much more effective than the Windows one. In any event, and for that reason I have recently considered throttling or disabling the Windows 7 indexing/search and just sticking with the reliable and effective GDS.

Josh:
I am fairly certain this project got pushed to the wayside. Mouser has, yet again, mousered his own software and promises made to other users. DAMN YOU MOUSER! DAMN YOU!

mahesh2k:
@yjs14, I use FARR for file searching and it works just fine on my old FAT 32 file system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version