ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

When your word processor begins openly mocking you, it's time to call it a day

<< < (5/7) > >>

40hz:

^If you combine text, styles, XML, and a database haven't you just created another wiki? ;D

superboyac:
^If you combine text, XML, and a database haven't you just created another wiki? ;D
-40hz (June 21, 2011, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
have I?  I don't know!  I've never understood how the wiki works.  What I was picturing was inputting all the elements (text, graphics) in the database, then export it to xml and tag it with the appropriate styles.  Then, import that into Indesign and fine-tune it while being able to preview it.  I really feel this is the best method for the way I work.  if wiki does this easily, I'm all for it!

40hz:
^Hmmm...actually, now it's starting to sound more like a CMS - but with a hardcopy output option.  

Sounds pretty cool now that I'm thinking about it. Kinda like that wikibooks thing Wikipedia has.   8)

@SB -  sorry. A wiki won't do what you're looking to do publishing wise. At least not any wiki package I'm aware of.  :)

Carol Haynes:
Best approach to Word is to turn off all the automated stuff - then just do what you want, when you want. For example I don't like it that when you start a line with a number it automatically assumes you are starting a list. Just turn that feature off and you can format lists the way you want without Word second guessing you. Same with recognising dates automatically and reformatting them.

oblivion:
I liked WordPerfect too.
-40hz (June 21, 2011, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
There were two sorts of people in the world, back then. Those who liked WordPerfect, and the more superior sorts who liked WordStar (because you could do everything from the home keys and the function keys were mostly not required.)  ;) Oh, and those who liked Multimate didn't count. They were just weird.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version