ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XBOX 360 with Kinect or Wii?

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
What wraith says.

I have used both for exercise (i have a friend who does video game research work and was able to borrow them for long periods), and the xbox with kinect seems to be the superior exercise tool.

The kinect exercise games can be frustrating to use, but it is real -- it really can figure out where your body is.  the wii is much more of a gimmick, pretending to know what you are doing but it's largely an illusion.

There are 3 main exercise games for kinnect currently, EA Sports Active, The Biggest Loser, and Your Shape Fitness Evolved.

EA Sports Active is the one i use the most -- it has a very annoying initial user interface, but it has the most running in it, which i like the best.  It also has a very cool feature that lets you create your own custom workouts which I like.

The biggest loser is good and gets good reviews.  Has more varied activities and tries to be more engagin.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved should be sent to every other kinect developer as a lesson in how to create a user interface for navigating and selection that doesn't make you want to smash something into your tv screen -- i don't know why the rest of the kinect games have such poorly designed user interfaces.

Since you are a coder, you have the extra incentive for the xbox kinect in that you can get the windows sdk for the kinect now should you want to code stuff for it.

Anyway, easy decision for exercise use: xbox360 with kinect.

esvin:
From my own experience, I will not recommend for kinect exercise game. The Wii is much more for the purpose of gimmick.  But I don’t know how you want to utilize it. It is your own personal choice. But I have seen that most people love to use the second one. That is the reason for me to recommend it. Along with exercising if you want to do some coding, as you are a coder, then xbox360 with kinect.

CWuestefeld:
I can't offer an actual comparison, because my experience with Wii is very limited. But I can tell you that my 360 with Kinect leaves me sweating, so it would seem that I'm getting some aerobic exercise.

Before getting a Kinect, ensure that you've got sufficient space to use it. They want you to be (iirc) 6-10 feet back from the sensor, and have about the same amount of width to work in. My family room itself is OK for this, but the geography of furniture, and where I need to put the furniture due to doors, windows, and fireplace, really compromises the available Kinect space.

wraith808:
I can't offer an actual comparison, because my experience with Wii is very limited. But I can tell you that my 360 with Kinect leaves me sweating, so it would seem that I'm getting some aerobic exercise.

Before getting a Kinect, ensure that you've got sufficient space to use it. They want you to be (iirc) 6-10 feet back from the sensor, and have about the same amount of width to work in. My family room itself is OK for this, but the geography of furniture, and where I need to put the furniture due to doors, windows, and fireplace, really compromises the available Kinect space.
-CWuestefeld (September 12, 2011, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed on all of the above.

Renegade:
Still haven't got one... It sort of hit the back burner... I think it's about time to browse the games available again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version