topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I need advices on SSD and PerfectDisk 12.  (Read 4193 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I need advices on SSD and PerfectDisk 12.
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Hi,

My boot disk was a SATA HDD with 3 logical drive C:, E: and F:.
C: has WinXP installed on it.
E: holds data required by programs to start running and temp folders.
F: is the drive I install all my applications or programs.

I just replace that SATA HDD (I found it developing bad sectors) with a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and because I am rather busy nowadays, I have decided to simply restore the HDD's recent image to the SSD and start using the SDD as my boot disk.

For all info and knowledges that I have collected about SSD, I now have some questions and am seeking for advices/answers:

1. Can partitioning a SSD drive decrease its lifespan?
(I mean am I actually cutting short the lifespan of my SSD unnecessarily by keeping the 3 logical drives structure)
For my case, E: > F: or C: in term of file changes. (E: has temp folders, whenever a program has an option for me to specify its temp folder, I will set it to a folder in E:). Since I has restricted many creation and deletion of temp files to only take places in drive E:, it seems that I am forcing higher frequncy of file changes to occur only at a limited area of the SSD (the scope of drive E:)... so is the above concern of mine really matter?

2. I am glad to know that PerfectDisk 12 has a SSD optimization that specially designed to catter for SSD defragmentation and I have read their idea of creating continuos free space blocks to increase SSD writing rate. I plan to buy a license for the Pro version of PD. But after thinking for a while it seems that something is not right about creating few big block of free space on SSD... it seems that PD12's idea of free space consolidation is simply a shift of time to erase area of SSD that could be written later. I mean, it is just a matter of erasing an area on SDD on-the-fly while writing data (without using PD12's SSD optimization at all) or pre-erase (using PD12) that area for future writes... and the amount of changes (thus the time they required) to the SSD are actually the same either way. Am I right that, PD12's SSD optimization should always be done with its Stealth Petrol scheduling mode? Because otherwise it forfeit the "increase write performance" claim!

3. If I choose to let PD12 does the SSD optimization for me with Stealth Petrol mode, how do I determine a reasonable fragmentation threshold percentage for PD12 to start that optimization? Or does that percentage setting field has become meaningless for SSD optimization since we are now talking about free space fragmentation instead of occupied space fragmentation... Or, may be I should ask this another way, when SSD optimization is concerned, if I place a non-zero value in fragmentation threshold percentage field, will that affect when to start optimzation, if the answer is yes, does the % apply to free space or occupied space?

4. I think the author of this article is too much http://www.speedguid...sd-speed-tweaks-3319, is a bit paranoid in elongating the lifespan of a SSD until he forgets the purpose of using a SSD is mainly for higher performance (otherwise I see no reason why one will not go for a HDD instead). Is there anyone here have any idea how long my SSD can last if I simply use it as I were using a SATA HDD and do not do anything as suggested by that article?

Please feel free to tell me anything about SSD that you think is crucial even if it isn't answering any of the above... thank you.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I need advices on SSD and PerfectDisk 12.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:23 PM »
As you say you are busy, I offer the following advice:
1) no
2-4) don't defragment an SSD drive - this does decrease its lifespan and because of the fast random read/write times even a very fragmented drive will not cost you performance.

SSD's nowadays have a lifespan long enough, they will break down for other reasons. (http://www.codinghor...ate-drive-scale.html)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I need advices on SSD and PerfectDisk 12.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Thanks for the interesting link.
So, I am not only giving up capacity, I too am risking to loss my SSD sooner (than if I use ordinary HDD)...
But just like someone in that discussion, I think, I am too, I don't think there is a way for me to go back using non-SDD drive for my Windows and programs.