ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for advice, tips, wisdom: Adding my 1st Mac into the [tech] family...

(1/14) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I am really amazed I am not typing this due to being held at gunpoint: Last night I purchased a used, factory restored, and seemingly well taken care of iBook G4. :o <insert *gasp* and long pause here>

From what I can tell, I got a good deal on it, and I also know my way around OSX (it is running Tiger) for basic use. The problem arises here: I have an extremely limited idea how OSX's back end works for things like application removal, system tweaking (beyond the System Preferences), and what to do when crap hits the fan. It did not come with installation DVDs, but I could easily find those online if problems occured (OSX is cheap anyways if I had to go and purchase a copy, I don't know how Apple handles licensing... I would assume similar to Windows' Product Key system?). The main problem, however, lives in the fact that is is a PowerPC, not Intel, processor; hence all the updated applications are made for the Intel CPUs, because PPC has died (for good reason, from what I have heard).

So I turn to the only online community I actually have trust in :) to see if I can learn a bit about what I have gotten myself into, and how I can make the most of this new machine. Specifically, I'm looking for things like

* Applications that still are updated that run on PPC (I'm running a custom version of FF 3.6 with Flash 9 as it stands; I couldn't find an old version of Opera for PPC, and I also don't know how Opera Link would handle differing versions...)

* Tweaks I can do to OSX (for any reason, security, visuals, speed, because-you-can, anything at all - I plan on tinkering and screwing it up many many times :P)

* Any information or tips or anything that will make using this iBook better (kind of goes with the above) or any general OSX information that could be helpful (I know my way around it, but haven't ever had free reign so my knowledge is limited)

* What I can do when things don't work - login, startup, hard drive failure, any common issues that anyone has seen/experienced that I should look out for... anything helpful

* Any suggestions where to go for parts if things break - I know Apple charges you a bazillion dollars for everything, and on my teenage budget, I can't afford that ;D
Thanks all :)
-Brandon

40hz:
Speaking as a former Apple service provider, strongly consider investing in an AppleCare Protection Plan contract. If anything breaks you'll be glad you have it. For many things, the only source for replacement parts is Apple itself. And they don't sell raw parts so you'll often need to go through one of their service centers to get something fixed. Without AppleCare, that's can be an expensive proposition.  :tellme:

Stoic Joker:
 :huh: ...So... the the only way to avoid giving Apple more money...is to give Apple more money???  :-\ ...Must be part of that new math I never learned.. O_o

wraith808:
I was thinking that the first piece of advice would be... don't?

Deozaan:
I was thinking that the first piece of advice would be... don't?
-wraith808 (June 10, 2011, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's not just advice. That's also wisdom. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version