ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why ebooks are bad for you

<< < (12/16) > >>

iphigenie:
Actually not quite true - I subscribe to the DIgital Concert Hall (basically all of the concerts from the Berlin Philharmonic) and that works great.
-Carol Haynes (June 19, 2011, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

This sounds intriguing - will have to look it up :)  :Thmbsup:

Also your points on DRM I totally agree with

The natural unit for digital goods is the household, not the individual person. It needs to be possible for people to use things on multiple devices and by multiple people, and not be required to buy additional copies unless there is simultaneous use. It's pure greed to want two people in a couple to have to buy a copy of something each, and is way more incovenient and expensive than the physical original in that way. Because even with a physical book you can have multiple people reading the same book almost at the same time (the way it works here it is very possible that R would start on a book I am still reading through, while I am at work for example, or doing something else... especially when a much wanted book turns up from a SF or Fantasy series)

Renegade:

Tech note: when my current ADSL connection was first installed, speeds were higher (up to 12Mb/s) but unreliable. Generally speaking, ADSL2 networks will do everything they can to maximise your speed, but if you have a noisy line that can work against you. So I got my ISP to "lock" my speed at a much lower level, and my connection has been rock solid ever since (not a single problem in two years). I can download at 7Mb/s all day long. Worth bearing in mind if you have a dodgy ADSL connection.
-johnk (June 19, 2011, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for mentioning it.

CodeTRUCKER:
I've read much in this thread.  I'm probably paranoid, but what happens to all the content if there is a SEMP (Stratospheric Electro-Magnetic Pulse)?  Don't mean to be morbid, but life after a catastrophic war would need to go on which requires information.  The ramifications of my comment are self-explanatory, so I won't belabor the point.

From another angle, just imagine how happy (and powerful) the antagonists in Orwells' and Bradbury's works would have been if the ebook would have been the technology in their day!   

Carol Haynes:
If there is an SEMP you could argue that data might survive better in the cloud

CodeTRUCKER:
If there is an SEMP you could argue that data might survive better in the cloud
-Carol Haynes (July 22, 2011, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

If this is a pun... brilliant!

If this is not a clever remark then would not routers update good data with corrupted data as an "update" across the cloud?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version