ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Not bad article on The Sins of Ubuntu

<< < (2/3) > >>

Edvard:
I could write a book replying to this article point by point, but I just don't have the time at the moment, maybe later, I don't know.
Suffice it to say I agree with many of his points, wholeheartedly even, but I found myself disagreeing with where he lays the blame.
In other words, as bad as some of their decisions have been, I just can't say that it's all Canonical/Ubuntu's fault.
Sometimes you gotta go with what works, and when somebody else breaks it for you...

I use Xubuntu because it was the first distro I used that I didn't have to fight with in order to get and use software that didn't come bundled with the distro.
Believe me, after my initial go-arounds with Slackware, Mandrake, and a few others I was always left wondering if it couldn't be made just a little easier.
Ubuntu answered that.

I've tried the latest versions of OpenSuse, Fedora, etc. and while they've both handily overcome the package management beast, I still prefer the APT/Synaptic system over Yum/RPM, and there was always something I didn't like; usually something starting with a K or a G. :P
Sorry Zaine, nothing against you, but I just cannot stand KDE no matter how many times I try to use it, and Gnome consistently insults my intelligence.
Xfce is my DE of choice and I'm quite glad I have that freedom.

So much more to say...

Nod5:
Interesting read! In the final section the author gives us a master explanation of the various problems described earlier:

"One underlying explanation ties all this together. Canonical embraces the same philosophy of product development as Microsoft. The emphasis is on introducing new features. "

I also have the impression that Ubuntu quickly adds new features, and break some old ones, in ways that can confuse users who had just gotten to grips with the old. Fosdick seems to think that the root cause is a design philosophy choice made by Canonical. But couldn't there be a deeper explanations? Maybe coders contributing to Ubuntu tend to be more motivated to work on new, cutting edge features rather than perfecting old and tried applications and solutions? Such coders themselves of course have expert knowledge on how the system works and can more easily adapt to even abrupt changes and new features.

app103:
I also have the impression that Ubuntu quickly adds new features, and break some old ones, in ways that can confuse users who had just gotten to grips with the old.
-Nod5 (June 10, 2011, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

And this is why I removed it from my computer. If they didn't keep breaking stuff on every update and weren't so hell bent on making you get lost every time you booted up, it could have been a nice OS.

Nod5:
Aw, you quoted me before I had time to fix the typos  :-[ :D

zridling:
I use Xubuntu because it was the first distro I used that I didn't have to fight with in order to get and use software that didn't come bundled with the distro.... Sorry Zaine, nothing against you, but I just cannot stand KDE no matter how many times I try to use it, and Gnome consistently insults my intelligence. Xfce is my DE of choice and I'm quite glad I have that freedom.-Edvard (June 10, 2011, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

No problem. You base your response on experience. Your statement is the core of Linux: freedom (to choose something else).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version