ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tablet Discussion - in the market to buy

<< < (5/6) > >>

TheQwerty:
Definitely agree on the last point.  And to give an example of what I'm talking about in lack of parity- four books that I just bought:-wraith808 (June 08, 2011, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, yes those are ridiculous.  I tend to buy all my technical books from O'Reilly, since they've shown an understanding and commitment to the digital formats - trying to offer everything in multiple DRM-free formats and with updates.  And really I just watch their [url=http://feeds.feedburner.com/oreilly/ebookdealoftheday[/url]Deal of the Day[/url] feed and wait for the books I want.

My hopes have increased for Wrox since they've recently started selling through O'Reilly; for instance, that WPF Programmer's Reference would be a much better deal from them at $35.99 than B&N.

My dream is that one day Safari Books will add a 3 or 5-slot bookshelf subscription level at no more than $10 per month (a little less than half the 10-slot level).  Combine that with some improvements to their mobile and offline support and I wouldn't hesitate to subscribe.

It's not that the 10-slot level isn't a good deal, but it's wasteful for my needs - like always ordering a foot-long sub but never eating more than 6".

Deozaan:
And that's what I get:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-phitsc (June 09, 2011, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow. Crazy!

wraith808:
And that's what I get:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-phitsc (June 09, 2011, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow. Crazy!
-Deozaan (June 09, 2011, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely crazy.  Here's what I see:
Tablet Discussion - in the market to buy

I wonder if Amazon Prime makes a difference in Kindle prices...

My dream is that one day Safari Books will add a 3 or 5-slot bookshelf subscription level at no more than $10 per month (a little less than half the 10-slot level).  Combine that with some improvements to their mobile and offline support and I wouldn't hesitate to subscribe.

It's not that the 10-slot level isn't a good deal, but it's wasteful for my needs - like always ordering a foot-long sub but never eating more than 6".
-TheQwerty (June 09, 2011, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have a free offer for Safari for a 45 day trial with Effective C#... how is it?  I've always brushed it off because I can't see renting books.  But looking at it closer, I guess it would make sense.  I have so many outdated books because of the rate of technology changing, so maybe I need to change my view of things.  Can you only see them on the website?  So can you use them if you're offline?

And yes, I use a variety of outlets for getting books these days. O'Reilly and Manning are my two go-to's for this kind of stuff.

TheQwerty:
I have a free offer for Safari for a 45 day trial with Effective C#... how is it?  I've always brushed it off because I can't see renting books.  But looking at it closer, I guess it would make sense.  I have so many outdated books because of the rate of technology changing, so maybe I need to change my view of things.  Can you only see them on the website?  So can you use them if you're offline?-wraith808 (June 09, 2011, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
I only used it briefly and it was through membership in the IEEE Computer society that gave limited access.  I don't recall it having the download tokens or any way to do offline at that time, not sure how much of the books got cached.  Also, I never did get to try the mobile site, so I only used it through Firefox, where it worked pretty well.  The selection of books was a subset of the full library which made finding the books I wanted hit or miss, and oddly they didn't show the books that were in the library but not available in my plan.

The way it works can be a bit confusing for an individual:
1) You get 10 slots.
2) You can preview parts of a book but to access the full content you have to place it in a slot.
3) You cannot remove the book from that slot until 30 days have passed.
So it seems more conducive to people that will read the book cover to cover, and less so for someone using it as an actual reference library.

Given all that it was good for how little I used it, and I can recommend giving it a try.  :P

I haven't renewed my IEEE membership and Safari is the only thing I miss, but I don't feel I'd ever use my money's worth with the 10-slot plan.  I'd be willing to pay $120/year for a 3-5 slot plan, even if it meant losing the Video content, and I think that would meet my usage better.

What would be truly amazing is if they adopted an à la carte model where you pay a small monthly subscription for 1-slot and can at any time add/remove more slots for an additional fee, or pay more to add the Video/Rough Cuts/etc. offerings.  Seems I'm doing a lot of dreaming today.  :-[

Renegade:
What country are  you in/from?

Thank-you...

Ummm... Yes. Your price is ready now. Please spread your butt cheeks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version