ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tablet Discussion - in the market to buy

<< < (4/6) > >>

johnk:
she loves to sit at a park and read. I do not want to get a dedicated e-reader-Josh (June 07, 2011, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is going to be frustrating with the vast majority of tablets, as there is too much glare to make them great for reading under the sun.
-TheQwerty (June 08, 2011, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1. And it's not just the sun that's a problem.

Josh, I think you are kidding yourself if you think a screen protector will solve glare problems. And glare isn't the only problem. Screens with backlighting are just hard on the eyes, there's no way around that. Try reading a novel for a couple of hours on a tablet and you'll see what I mean. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, and I love it. It has the best screen of any tablet I've tried. But I would never use it as a reader. For that, I have a Kindle. I carry both all the time.

If the main purpose of the device is as a reader, do your wife a big favour and buy a dedicated e-reader. Her eyes will be very grateful.

wraith808:
For the books I've been buying recently the prices between the two are in parity, though admittedly I have noticed that in many other cases B&N prices tend to be a little more.  And often reference books are moronically priced (on both stores) - for a while I didn't believe anyone at Wrox had a brain because their e-books were only available at prices higher than the dead tree versions' list-prices and came with stupid restrictions on number of downloads and devices.

Personally, the difference has always been acceptable to me since B&N are selling me a less restrictive, but still stupid, DRM format.  My problem with the Kindle has always been their proprietary format platform lock-in.

That said, I find the B&N situation extremely frustrating since it should mean they are in competition with the Sony and Google bookstores which use the same format, and I think that should drive prices down.  Though, I imagine part of the problem is their contracts all ensure they get the lowest price and Amazon can afford to take a bigger loss.
-TheQwerty (June 08, 2011, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely agree on the last point.  And to give an example of what I'm talking about in lack of parity- four books that I just bought:
1. Effective C# - Kindle $17.59, Nook $38.39
2. WPF - Kindle $31.18, Nook $43.99
3. Business Practices for Photographers - Kindle $18.58, Nook $19.24
4. C# 2010 for Programmers - Kindle $26.39, Nook $38.39

And I definitely do agree that Wrox is out of their mind in regards to hardcopy vs. electronic prices.

phitsc:
Don't know how you get those kindle edition prices. When I click those links I get shown considerably higher prices than the ones you list here, all of them higher than their respective paperback versions even. Do kindle book prices depend on the region you're ordering them from? (and I don't mean the 2$ for international delivery, if they still apply).

Deozaan:
Don't know how you get those kindle edition prices. When I click those links I get shown considerably higher prices than the ones you list here, all of them higher than their respective paperback versions even-phitsc (June 09, 2011, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

The price I see is also much higher. But then I realized that the BIG price on the page is for the paper edition. I look a little lower and it shows the lower priced Kindle edition. I'm in the USA, btw.

phitsc:
And that's what I get:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version