ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tablet Discussion - in the market to buy

<< < (3/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
A homicidal, pathological lying AI robot posted about this one in IRC: http://thetoshibatablet.com/
-Deozaan (June 07, 2011, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Loudly blaring Big Band music with no volume control! ...They should be shot, hacked, and then beaten to death in an Alley just for that. I hit the mute button on the page, and it un-muted itself at the end so I got to suffer the last blasted note of the sound track. Their marketing department should be sterilized immediately.
-Stoic Joker (June 07, 2011, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I didn't know. I had headphones plugged in when I viewed the site, but didn't have the headphones on. So I didn't hear anything.-Deozaan (June 07, 2011, 10:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

*Shrug* Hay it's not you fault man, the device is rather interesting. I just think that Toshiba should know better than to dredge up used car commercial tactics from the 80's. It was annoying back then, and it still is. People don't just want to be screamed at no mater how exciting the product allegedly is. ;)

wraith808:
The original nook was a bit of a crazy experiment (those dual screens) but the e-ink is great for reading and nothing else.  The new nook looks to be getting some pretty glowing reviews, and it's been rooted, but I haven't read much about the experience beyond books.

I got the nook Color only because of the rooting community, and a bit of jealousy after getting my mother one for Christmas.  She likes it but she's only using it for reading.  I liked it as my first tablet, but since I still wanted to use the stock ROM there were quite a few quirks in using it that way.  If you root it and put Cyanogenmod and the nook app on it, you probably end up with a better experience, but you lose some of the stock features (kids books and until recently magazines).
-TheQwerty (June 08, 2011, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was all over the nook, and planning to get my daughter one (I convinced her that digital didn't *have* to replace dead tree- that she could get both...)

But recently, I started to look at prices- and Barnes & Noble might price themselves out of this if they aren't careful.  At first, I was buying because that was the format I already had- but now, comparing to Amazon, it seems that in *every* case, the price at B&N is quite a bit higher than the price at Amazon for the digital formats- even approaching hardcopy prices.  So I'm having a bit of a crisis in e-reading right now. :(

Josh:
TheQwerty

Thanks for the in depth reply. I realized that the droid tablet would have some issues with reading in the sun. However, with certain screen protectors, I can alleviate most of the glare issues for her. Other than that, I think this will serve very well as a laptop replacement since she can take it anywhere. She doesn't use any proprietary apps that require Windows right now. The only thing we use like that is Quicken and that can go on my daughters desktop under a separate login.

The USB connectivity is something I want her to have. While the PDMI is OK, I do not like having to buy custom cables to do basic things.

The only reason I might hold off is for the quad core tablets coming out shortly. But, I am likely going to bite the bullet and buy her one as her laptop screen is just about shot.

Thanks for the great reply!

TheQwerty:
At first, I was buying because that was the format I already had- but now, comparing to Amazon, it seems that in *every* case, the price at B&N is quite a bit higher than the price at Amazon for the digital formats- even approaching hardcopy prices.  So I'm having a bit of a crisis in e-reading right now. :(-wraith808 (June 08, 2011, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
For the books I've been buying recently the prices between the two are in parity, though admittedly I have noticed that in many other cases B&N prices tend to be a little more.  And often reference books are moronically priced (on both stores) - for a while I didn't believe anyone at Wrox had a brain because their e-books were only available at prices higher than the dead tree versions' list-prices and came with stupid restrictions on number of downloads and devices.

Personally, the difference has always been acceptable to me since B&N are selling me a less restrictive, but still stupid, DRM format.  My problem with the Kindle has always been their proprietary format platform lock-in.

That said, I find the B&N situation extremely frustrating since it should mean they are in competition with the Sony and Google bookstores which use the same format, and I think that should drive prices down.  Though, I imagine part of the problem is their contracts all ensure they get the lowest price and Amazon can afford to take a bigger loss.

However, with certain screen protectors, I can alleviate most of the glare issues for her.-Josh (June 08, 2011, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've yet to find a solution that I like, which is why if outdoor reading were a requirement I couldn't recommend anything other than e-ink.

While the PDMI is OK, I do not like having to buy custom cables to do basic things.-Josh (June 08, 2011, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I'd have bought the Galaxy Tab myself because of this exact reason. There were a lot of people at IO that were disappointed to discover nothing but the PDMI.

I like that it means a thinner and lighter device but feel the least they could have done was thrown in the USB adapter. Note that they do include a USB male-A to PDMI cable for charging/syncing - I wonder if it would at all be possible to create a USB crossover cable?

The only reason I might hold off is for the quad core tablets coming out shortly. But, I am likely going to bite the bullet and buy her one as her laptop screen is just about shot.-Josh (June 08, 2011, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Completely understandable, I suffer from technolust so I doubt I could have taken my own advice and made it through this summer.

mouser:
Recent Nook vs. Kindle blog: http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/nook-vs-kindle-features-also-free.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version