topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Microsoft unveils new UI prototype - Windows 8?  (Read 33794 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft unveils new UI prototype - Windows 8?
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 12:18 AM »
Wow, do you actually use that folding keyboard? That looks really interesting!

- Oshyan

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 02:17 AM »
Yes, I do and it's pretty good. You can actually plug the keyboard in so you can run your PDA without draining its battery and actually charge it while you are typing. It's a full sized laptop style keyboard and the keys are actually larger than the ones on the keyboard of my desktop computer.

Targus made keyboards like that for a lot of handheld devices, and I thought they would end up making one for the iPhone too, but for whatever reason they never did and seemed to stop making keyboards of that type right about the time the first iPhones hit the market.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Well damn, so they're no longer available?

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 12:48 PM »

- Oshyan

Some still are. Check Amazon.

Problem with the Targus Stowaway fold-ups was that they were device specific. AFAIK they only did them for the Palm, Handspring, and Clie.

I had one for my Sony Clie until that died. I ended up giving my keyboard to a friend who had one that still worked.

I really miss my Clie. It was a simple and reliable device that didn't try to do too much. But what it did do, it did brilliantly. I wrote the entire first draft of a book on that little bugger. Too bad Sony scrapped it's PDAs and went completely over to smartphones. :)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:53 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 12:54 PM »

- Oshyan

Some still are. Check Amazon.

Problem with the Targus Stowaway fold-ups was that they were device specific. AFAIK they only did them for the Palm, Handspring, and Clie.

I had one for my Sony Clie until that died. I ended up giving my keyboard to a friend who had one that still worked.

I really miss my Clie. It was a simple and reliable device that didn't try to do too much. But what it did do, it did brilliantly. I wrote the first draft of entire book on that little bugger. Too bad Sony scrapped it's PDAs and went completely over to smartphones. :)
Sounds like a typical Sony story to me.  That's soooo Sony.  They tease you with amazing innovations and hardware, yet they never seem to be able to strike that perfect balance in their technology.  There's always something missing.  And nobody makes perfect devices, but the "something missing" for Sony always seems to be a backbreaker that makes.  Whenever I get Sony things, i quickly find myself saying, "If it could only do [whatever] it would PERFECT!"  And then I try to look for an alternative...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Sounds like a typical Sony story to me.  That's soooo Sony.  They tease you with amazing innovations and hardware, yet they never seem to be able to strike that perfect balance in their technology.  There's always something missing.  And nobody makes perfect devices, but the "something missing" for Sony always seems to be a backbreaker that makes.  Whenever I get Sony things, i quickly find myself saying, "If it could only do [whatever] it would PERFECT!"  And then I try to look for an alternative...

+1. Truer words were never spoken. They always give you everything but that last 2%.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:06 PM by 40hz »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 01:13 PM »

They also made them for the HP Jornada (what I have) and iPaq.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 04:34 PM »
^Ah - the Journada! That was another neat little PDA.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 04:40 PM »

I really miss my Clie. It was a simple and reliable device that didn't try to do too much. But what it did do, it did brilliantly. I wrote the entire first draft of a book on that little bugger. Too bad Sony scrapped it's PDAs and went completely over to smartphones.

You want another one (Sony Clie that is)? I got one sitting in the closet I never could figure out a use for.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:42 PM by Stoic Joker »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 05:38 PM »

I really miss my Clie. It was a simple and reliable device that didn't try to do too much. But what it did do, it did brilliantly. I wrote the entire first draft of a book on that little bugger. Too bad Sony scrapped it's PDAs and went completely over to smartphones.

You want another one (Sony Clie that is)? I got one sitting in the closet I never could figure out a use for.

Thanks. But I already gave away all my software and accessories and have since moved on to other things. And migrated all that data too. Boy was that ever a pain. Wish I got your offer three years ago! You could have named your price...  ;D (Story of my life.  :-\)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13 PM »

Thanks. But I already gave away all my software and accessories and have since moved on to other things. And migrated all that data too. Boy was that ever a pain. Wish I got your offer three years ago! You could have named your price...  ;D (Story of my life.  :-\)

Mine too apparently ... Damn things been that closet for four years...

:D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2011, 06:31 PM »
^Wonder if its battery will still hold a decent charge if it's been 4 years since it last got plugged in.  :huh:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2011, 08:33 PM »
^Wonder if its battery will still hold a decent charge if it's been 4 years since it last got plugged in.  :huh:

:-\ Good Question... I (just put it on charge) guess we'll find out in the morning... ;)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Does anyone remember this from way back?

http://research.micr...cr/work/taskgallery/

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2011, 06:39 AM »
^Wonder if its battery will still hold a decent charge if it's been 4 years since it last got plugged in.  :huh:

:-\ Good Question... I (just put it on charge) guess we'll find out in the morning... ;)

That would be a no...Much as you suspected. It was still deader than a door nail after an overnight charge. Battery looks replacable, but I haven't looked at it yet (cound be ugly...).

Does anyone remember this from way back?

http://research.micr...cr/work/taskgallery/

I do vaguely remember that. (hehe) Talk about a blast from the past ... Cool find!