ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

7 Freeware Windows Explorer Alternatives / File Managers compared

<< < (2/4) > >>

jaden:
They forgot my favorite, cubic explorer
--- End quote ---

Actually, they looked at 15 and chose their top 7 to compare.  Cubic Explorer was one of the original 15.

After evaluating 15 freeware programs seven of them were chosen for detailed consideration. In alphabetical order these programs are: FreeCommander, Master Commander, NexusFile, Q-Dir, SE-Explorer, UltraExplorer and xplorer2 lite. The following programs were also evaluated but got a lower score than the first seven: a43, AltCommander, CubicExplorer, ExplorerXP, FileAnt, JExplorer, Pablo Commander and Snowbird.
--- End quote ---

rjbull:
I know it's not free, but XYplorer is the fastest file manager I've tried.-superboyac (June 06, 2011, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Remember the fairly short-lived free version?  It's still available at Pricelessware's ftp list.  It's quite old now - 2006 - and XY is one of the most frequently updated programs I know of, so would be missing lots of things in the current version.

Actually, the real fastest would be total commander, but it's interface is not very "normal".
--- End quote ---
(Cue pantomime chorus)  Oh yes it is!  It's Windows that's abnormal!  As I have said before, for this old-time DOS person, Total Commander was the first thing that made using Windows almost semi-tolerable.  It's true it's payware, but it's modestly priced and I've never had to pay for an upgrade in something like 11 years.

Much the same comments would, for me, apply to the excellent ZTreeWin, inasmuch as, for a while, XTree Pro was my interface for DOS.  ZTW is console-mode, though, which won't play well with people who started with the WinGUI.

MilesAhead:
I like the idea of Q-Dir with 4 panes.  But seems every time I try to copy a multi-GB file and try to do something else in the meantime, it gets flaky.

It's supposed to be multi-thread but I just get the feeling it's tested with small files. I haven't tried it in awhile though.  Maybe the threading is improved.

Ath:
Miles, you have looked in the History page to see if there's any mention of that? (I couldn't find anything about that). I stopped using it years ago in favor of Xplorer2, even though I maintained the local translation for some time.

MilesAhead:
I can't remember where it was. But I know there was a forum where I mentioned that problem and the author claimed he was working on improving the threading.  But that was probably 6 months ago or more when I first tried it. Sorry I can't remember anything more specific.

I know I did play around with starting like 4 GB file copies and then doing other tasks. It would start the other jobs, but it tended to lock up or give a Not Responding dialog.  Wasn't completely frozen though. I like the 4 panes. But so far I'm having pretty good luck with QTTabBar and just placing the Explorer windows evenly using launchers.  Now and then it forgets some tabs, usually on system start up.  Once they're working they seem to keep working. (I have all my drives set at a Group with Startup attribute.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version