ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Naming one's product

(1/5) > >>

cranioscopical:
On Bits du Jour today  (June 5, 2011):

> Photopus Pro for PC - 60% off Today Only                         
>                                                               
> On Sunday 5 Jun EST you can get Photopus Pro at a huge discount!

Is it just me?

I realize what was intended here but would you really want to name your product Photo pus?

Perhaps it's for those who want suppurating snaps…

Probably a good idea to run potential names by as large a panel of friends/colleagues as possible.

Curt:
Softdiv Software Sdn Bhd's office is in Malaysia; they potential have 2/3 of the world's population as clients - clients who may not know the meaning of pus or pus## - and Softdiv probably don't aim at the western market anyway.

But of course I agree with what you are saying.

40hz:
I've discovered (through bitter experience) that it doesn't pay to be too clever about naming products or businesses.  Clever 'gets old' fast. And it's a lot more common than you think. I'd hate to count the number of times I've come up with a "really clever" or cute product name and found it (plus a few alternate spellings of the same) already in commercial use.

Also not a bad idea to check and see if there's a trademark registration already issued (or pending) for it. Few experiences are worse than to come up with a name you really like, write the ad copy, design the packaging and website, tell everybody you know about it... and then realize you can't legally use it. About the only thing worse is to first find out about it when you receive a "cease and desist" letter from an attorney. Especially if you got it just after you received your order for a thousand custom printed boxes along with 5000 4-color sales brochures. (I've seen it happen. Talk about "ouch." )  ;D

At the very least, Google the name and see if there's anything remotely like what youre planning to use before you commit to a product name.
 8)

mrainey:
Pho-TO-pus

Directory O-pus

It's all in the emphasis.

cranioscopical:
Pho-TO-pus

Directory O-pus

It's all in the emphasis.
-mrainey (June 05, 2011, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, with respect, no: sometimes it's in the reading.

Hmm…  Directory O-pus, that's the Irish file manager isn't it, the one where you weep when trying to configure it?

And yes… I'm a very satisfied user of Directory Opus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version