ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

DC Server Down for 3 hours on June 4, 2011 due to datacenter power outage

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
I've been with The Planet for years, and with SoftLayer and The Planet since they merged.

The number of real problems I have had total exactly zero.

However, I am in the Texas data centers. Maybe that makes a difference.

worstje:
With data centers, it isn't about how many problems there are over a period. It is about the effect a single problem can have. Good management keeps up on all their expireable UPSes, keeps matters segmented and so forth. That way, if a problem happens, it only hits some customers, or throughput is lowered, and not the entire location. I stick with my opinion that they should have done more disaster tests and drills. :)

mouser:
I'm seeing tons of complaints from past SoftLayer fans on their forum and on the webhostingtalk.com forum; seems like a general consensus is forming that since the merger with ThePlanet hosting company, SoftLayer is definitely having some issues..

Renegade:
I'm seeing tons of complaints from past SoftLayer fans on their forum and on the webhostingtalk.com forum; seems like a general consensus is forming that since the merger with ThePlanet hosting company, SoftLayer is definitely having some issues..
-mouser (June 07, 2011, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Odd... They were both good companies. Is this just a growing pain do you think?

mouser:
Is this just a growing pain do you think?
--- End quote ---

Definitely possible, and it would be understandable.  But it does mean that it might be prudent for people thinking about becoming new SoftLayer customers to wait a bit until things settle down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version