ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I delete over 6,000 recursive directories?

<< < (4/5) > >>

40hz:
I'm asking for help to remove these items from their BACKUP LOCATION on my PC. por favor
-Jammo the OrganizedFellow (June 01, 2011, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. Must have missed that part.  :-[

what about booting into a live rescue or linux distro?

I'm not a Linux user (too lazy) but isn't this the sort of thing they're meant for?
-Target (June 01, 2011, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes they are. Any 'live' Linux distro will work. It doesn't have to be a rescue release. The file manager in Puppy or one of the mini distros should work equally well. I've done that when a Macintosh directory was copied onto an external HD, and Windows Explorer and the command line couldn't delete certain files because the path/name was too long; or contained a character not allowed (e.g. / \ * etc.) under Windows. PartedMagic is a good Swiss Army type utility disk to have for this sort of thing.

:Thmbsup:

Target:
Yes they are. Any 'live' Linux distro will work. It doesn't have to be a rescue release. The file manager in Puppy or one of the mini distros should work equally well.-40hz (June 01, 2011, 08:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

yeah, I figured as much, though I thought a rescue distro may make the process easier (by including appropriate ready to use apps)

PartedMagic is a good Swiss Army type utility disk to have for this sort of thing.
--- End quote ---

Parted Magic does file operations?

40hz:
PartedMagic[/b] is a good Swiss Army type utility disk to have for this sort of thing. -Target (June 01, 2011, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Parted Magic does file operations?

--- End quote ---

Latest version has a bunch of file tools including PCManFM.  Above link goes to a page with full details.  Check it out. It's not your granddaddy's Parted Magic CD!  ;D  :Thmbsup:

Target:
Latest version has a bunch of file tools including PCManFM.  Above link goes to a page with full details.  Check it out. It's not your granddaddy's Parted Magic CD!  ;D  :Thmbsup:-40hz (June 01, 2011, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

cool - I've had copies of this in my toolkit for years, though I rarely have a need for it so it doesn't get updated that often (it's been quite a while :Thmbsup:)

MilesAhead:
I haven't tried this script.  But you can take a look:

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/29234-deltree.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version