ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I delete over 6,000 recursive directories?

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:
+1 with Krishean.

I've also seen too many nested directories (or too long a path) screw up a file system beyond repair.

Your best bet might be to just copy over anything you still want and then reformat the SD card.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
Your best bet might be to just copy over anything you still want and then reformat the SD card.

Luck! :Thmbsup:-40hz (June 01, 2011, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have already DONE that.
The card has since remained IN the phone. I'm not worried at ALL about the condition of the card nor the phone.

I'm asking for help to remove these items from their BACKUP LOCATION on my PC. por favor :P

Everything I've been recommended to do above has been done, with no effect to anything.
----- ----- ----- ----- -----

--- ---D:\MomPhoneBackup\dcim\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\Camera\
That's where I was a few hours ago.
Everything attempted via command line results with a message about the filename being too long.
So I've manually gone and done this:

--- ---D:\MomPhoneBackup\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\0\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\0\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\0\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\0\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\0\1\2\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\Camera\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\33\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\3\1>
Now all the above directories are EMPTY.
I am renaming all "/Camera/" folders to single-digits. Each Camera folder has ninety-something JPG files in them.

Using the above mentioned command: "rmdir /S /Q dirnamehere" does nothing.
Then I started renaming the "/Camera/" folders and deleting the photos: del *.jpg

I've got (I lost count) X folders deep, and now my commands say:
The system cannot find the path specified.
The file name is too long.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I'm currently in a folder and can not delete any photos, nor can I rename the Camera folder.
This is proving to be a real pain in the butt.

Target:
can you delete from the bottom up?

if you can delete 1, try 5, then 10, etc and see if you can get it down to something reasonable

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
can you delete from the bottom up?

if you can delete 1, try 5, then 10, etc and see if you can get it down to something reasonable

-Target (June 01, 2011, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'e tried that at the root of the folder, middle, and at the end.
At the end, where the last Camera folder is at, and also where the photo files are, I'm not able to delete them.

When I try to delete them via command line, it says: The system cannot find the path specified.
When I try to delete them via Explorer window, it says: The name(s) were too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again.

That's why I renamed all the original '/Camera/' folders to single numerals.
It actually DID help, as I was able to navigate further than before.

I'm stuck now, because all I've tried no longer works.

Target:
what about booting into a live rescue or linux distro?

I'm not a Linux user (too lazy) but isn't this the sort of thing they're meant for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version