ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SWF 2 EXE "open source" release help, please

<< < (2/3) > >>

dmd7978:
But: When you say have the project hosted on your forum -- what do you mean?  You will have a hard time *forcing* people to use your forum to discuss their versions of the software, HOWEVER I think in reality you will find that they will all WANT to use your forum to discuss it.  There is no motivation not to.  But maybe you have something else in mind regarding what you mean by "hosting" it?
-mouser (June 01, 2011, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, what you say is correct and I think that you may be correct in that there would be no reason not to do it, I would think. It would just suck if I put it out and for some reason @johnnypopular decided to create swf2exefantasticoforum.net and it includes a nudie pic with every post and so I lose 90% of the users over something like that and I do not get to see it "grow"

And about the restrictions on open source, sounds good, thanks. Requiring acknowledgement works, it sounds. That is all that really matters, really do not care at all about my sole rights to the software. I am only doing this to get my name out as I have something much better to launch in a couple of months, not open source. And further feature additions to the swf2exe actually help my other app as it can use these exe's in a "special" way, so I am not really doing it out of the "goodness of my heart, free society,  ya ya stuff"( no offense to hippiehackers)...I benefit in name and application implementation and I think it is a pretty beneficial addition to anyone's library from which to pull so hopefully it will "pay" off.

Thanks

EDIT----BSD, sounded good as my post below states. Then I thought about this line you wrote
"Right your own license and specify what people must do to use your code." -----YES, I shall, I think, unless, in any way, this would "hurt" its "standing", as in if it is not "officially" a bsd or gpl compatible license, would it not be promoted to thousands of potential users due to it not being an officially recognized open source app....Really appreciate all the help, app launch is so far out of my comfort realm, totally different industry and required mindset

dmd7978:
May be take a look at some of the BSD licenses for inspiration and reference?
-ewemoa (June 01, 2011, 04:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, will look...

I forgot to add, I also have a "wallpaper flipper" that I would make open source, as well. Pretty cool one, actually. You can set it to auto-flip at up to four times a second, lol. Why? Well, it can "play" an animated scene in "real-time"...Many wallpapers, all a different frame in a video clip or whatever, can show each "image"  that is actually a static bmp appear as though it is animated, meaning that it is, technically, not pre-recorded, and as each image is being displayed the moment it is called to, it occurs in "real-time". Again, the only app that matters to me is my new one, these others are only meant for name recognition and I figured that this is more "powerful" an action, in that regard, than just 'freeware'. Plus I do not wish to continue its evolution as I can only focus on my other software and any improvements only help the new one ..But maybe I am wrong and would listen to any and all comments..

I suppose I should release the binaries for them and see how they are received?

Edit---BSD looks great, thanks, I shall investigate more. Better idea, this would be, than full open source. Very cool

ewemoa:
Don't know how much use it may be, but FWIW, I came across this article which brings up some potential pitfalls (in the opinion of the author of the article :) ) for writing one's own license:

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2009/05/28/why-to-not-write-your-own-license/

dmd7978:
Don't know how much use it may be, but FWIW, I came across this article which brings up some potential pitfalls (in the opinion of the author of the article :) ) for writing one's own license:

-ewemoa (June 01, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would like to think that I would do a LITTLE better job than the gent in the article did writing a licensing agreement, but the point is well taken. I am far from an attorney, thankfully, and should not trust myself to risk doing something wrong when the "ready to go" alternative is waiting and solid. Good look out, thank you.

All make great points, however, I do not see any reason to "gamble" , doesn't appear to be much if any upside, for me, at least.

Renegade:

-ewemoa (June 01, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I couldn't finish reading that. The examples were so bad... My guess is that it was written by a kid in grade 7 or 8.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version