ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SWF 2 EXE "open source" release help, please

<< < (3/3)

dmd7978:
Don't know how much use it may be, but FWIW, I came across this article which brings up some potential pitfalls (in the opinion of the author of the article :) ) for writing one's own license:

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2009/05/28/why-to-not-write-your-own-license/
-ewemoa (June 01, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I couldn't finish reading that. The examples were so bad... My guess is that it was written by a kid in grade 7 or 8.
-Renegade (June 02, 2011, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I believe it is purposeful. To use one of the worst to show common mistakes made by others. Both funny and educational

daddydave:
I am not in any way an Open Source expert but according to the Open Source Initiative:

8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product

The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution.

Rationale: This clause forecloses yet another class of license traps
--- End quote ---

This seems to prevent you from restricting distribution of the software, if you release it as open source. The safest thing does seem to be to write your own license.

dmd7978:
I am not in any way an Open Source expert but according to the Open Source Initiative:

8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product

The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution.

Rationale: This clause forecloses yet another class of license traps
--- End quote ---

This seems to prevent you from restricting distribution of the software, if you release it as open source. The safest thing does seem to be to write your own license.
-daddydave (June 02, 2011, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, my new understanding is that GPL would be a better option than BSD as I can restrict some distribution practices if I would discover one that bothered me...Yeah, I think that the FSF crowd is a bit too literal and overprotective of the open source "title" ...My head is aching from the wiki pages full of deep links of more riddles. I will spend this weekend really reading deeper, thanks for all help everyone..

Who would have thought a commercial release was so much simpler

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version