ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (12/15) > >>

tomos:
After trying - and cursing - several alternatives, I've pretty much settled upon MyInfo.  I'm a bit disappointed with the tag system, but it works well enough for most usages.  The interface has a few foibles, e.g., the interface doesn't always retain changes from one (1) instance to the next, but it's the best I've found to date.  I am still looking, however.  In the process, there needs to be a transparent, almost instant backup system for the portable version.  Right now I'm using Syncless, but it tends to lose the sync instruction if the synched folder/files be missing when it is started.
-barney (December 17, 2013, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

For the record: MyInfo on offer on BDJ @ 51% off on the 19th Dec
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=36816.msg344682;topicseen#new

barney:
What functionality are you particularly looking for?
-dr_andus (December 18, 2013, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's kinda polyglot.  I capture certain Web pages, recipes, save code snippets, save registration information/keys, general notes, data about sites I've created or support, personal notes, access information (passwords, access codes & the like), calendar data - appointments, medical, ... - schedule data, and more.  Yes, there are applications that do all those things, but I prefer to have it all in one (1) place.  MyInfo has been the best I've found to date.  It doesn't do well with Web graphics when the graphic is linked rather than embedded.  And the tag system is overly simplistic.  But it's the best I've found so far.

tomos:
After trying - and cursing - several alternatives, I've pretty much settled upon MyInfo.  I'm a bit disappointed with the tag system, but it works well enough for most usages.  The interface has a few foibles, e.g., the interface doesn't always retain changes from one (1) instance to the next, but it's the best I've found to date.  I am still looking, however.  In the process, there needs to be a transparent, almost instant backup system for the portable version.  Right now I'm using Syncless, but it tends to lose the sync instruction if the synched folder/files be missing when it is started.
-barney (December 17, 2013, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

wondering:

* which alternatives you tried (and cursed) ?
* what do you mean by a "a transparent, almost instant backup system"?
Re backup. With InfoQube, I can set it up to backup every 'x' minutes. If these backups are also timestamped, I can auto-delete all but one per day (after 'n' days). That still adds up, so I clear out the backup folder manually occasionally. Web content is saved in a subfolder. This has to be backed up by another app, or manually. (Text versions of web content are saved in the main file.)
Not perfect, but a good start.

If you want instant backup have you tried some backup software that will monitor the file/folder? (Dont know would that disrupt use of the file(s)...)

barney:
which alternatives you tried (and cursed) ?[/li]
[li]what do you mean by a "a transparent, almost instant backup system"?[/li]
[/list]
If you want instant backup have you tried some backup software that will monitor the file/folder? (Dont know would that disrupt use of the file(s)...)
-tomos (December 19, 2013, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

For the first query, I've tried MyBase, EssentialPIM, amongst others.  Don't remember all of 'em anymore.  None were really bad, just not good enough  :huh:.

For the second query, as mentioned previously, I'm using Syncless.  It does real-time sync w/o any delay that I've discerned, but it loses the target if the target is not available when Syncless starts.

<sidenote> I tried InfoQube, but it just didn't measure up to my needs.</sidenote>

tomos:
For the second query, as mentioned previously, I'm using Syncless.  It does real-time sync w/o any delay that I've discerned, but it loses the target if the target is not available when Syncless starts.
-barney (December 19, 2013, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

okay, I wasnt clear that that was real time. (But would have realised if I had read more at the link. Sounds like a very interesting implementation.)

<sidenote> I tried InfoQube, but it just didn't measure up to my needs.</sidenote>
-barney (December 19, 2013, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

ah yeah - I was going to recommend it if you hadnt tried it. If you have tried it - you like it or you dont; it does what you want or it doesnt ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version