ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (5/15) > >>

IainB:
@barney: In search of an alternative to InfoSelect
I had exactly the same questions as you, some time back, and gathered a lot of information. It took a lot of investigative work on my part. Here are pointers to the info I gathered, and which might save you some considerable time.
I collected most of the info into the FREE Scrapbook add-on for Firefox. Scrapbook is extremely useful for capturing local copies of webpages (and their URLs).
(With Scrapbook, you can copy just specific things - e.g., images, files - and go several levels deep and scrape off whole chunks of a website if you want.)
This is all Useful information on PIMs (Personal Information Management) software generally (not just InfoSelect).

These links from my Scrapbook could be useful:

* List of outliners
* Discussion on PIMS in DC Forum.This image - a list of PIM-related content - from my Scrapbook directory could also be useful.
In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

The PIMs I have tried out over the last 2 years are:

* AgendaAtOnce  
* Chandler      
* Compendium    
* InfoQube      
* MaplePro      
* Noah          
* Omea          
* orGenta        
* RagTimeSolo    
* TaskCoach      
* TiddlyDu      
* TiddlyWiki    
* TimeTo        
* ToDo + planning
* TotalText      
* Wiki-in-a-jar  
* Wiki-PIMs      
* Winguide      
* WireNote      
* Zoot          

barney:
An impressive list, indeed.(

I think I've tried about half of those, although not always with current purposes in mind  ;).

Nothing ever came close to InfoSelect, but the latest version of that has proven to be unreliable.

Just encountered a problem with URP - the last seven (7) items I copied were all identical copies of a former - but not immediately previous - copy.  Well-l-l, the copies weren't, but what was pasted was.  I think I'm converted to WikeNotes - at least it hasn't screwed me up - yet  :P.

(Yeah, scrapbook is very handy.  Don't know, yet, if it functions with 4.x, though.)

tomos:
Re InfoQube (IQ):
I'm a fairly basic user and am not familiar with any other comparable apps - but I'll chance a comment.

It's essentially a two pane outliner/database.
Grid/Outline (text, with html formatting possible) and the HTML pane, which contains rich-text/html + images (related to the items in the grid).

Drag n drop does not work the way you want it but
There are other methods:

* Win+C - very easy :) copies selected text [& images] directly to the html pane (via a new item dialogue), title of window is used for the grid text, and the url is saved. By default it goes to an inbox grid but this can be changed from the dialogue, or later.
* there's an extension for FF & IE so I can copy selected text or full pages via context menu or a button.
If you can live without the drag n drop aspect, all you other requirements are met.

Caveats might be that it's still is in Beta, the interface need work to make it more friendly. Some people do have difficulty at the beginning with it.
OTOH there is documentation which may be imperfect but is being improved all the time. You'll always get help quickly at the forum http://www.sqlnotes.net/drupal5/index.php?q=tracker. I've been using IQ for years for work stuff without losing anything and what with it being in development it's been updated a lot. It's portable too ;)

[edit] download link (go for the portable version) http://www.infoqube.biz/download
and 'help' page here on dc InfoQube (IQ) Information Management System Q & A [/edit]
edit2/ minor, in [square brackets]

Dormouse:
To make that a bit more clear, a list of URLs is intrinsically worthless, since there's no indication what that URL references until you click on it.  Sorry if I misunderstand, but I've had that result.  Oh, yeah, it's also difficult, if not impossible, to edit the note attached to that URL.
-barney (June 06, 2011, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Two egs: one in the child pane at the bottom, one in the attributes pane at the side.

Easy to attach notes etc if you want.

One just a copy page instruction, the other just a copy selection instruction. URL collected and saved without any other action.

barney:
Aha!  Your 2nd example shows information that does not present on my system, the Document attributes.  Even though they are selected in the View | Choose Columns (?) menu window.  That is, both Web site and URL are selected, but neither shows in the item attributes window.  And for some reason, the UR folk apparently don't believe that, even with screen shots  :huh:.  I don't doubt that the product is good, but it simply does not perform as advertised on my system.  My next step, when time allows, is to deinstall, reinstall, see if something went awry in the original install.  That seems more and more likely, as new [non] events occur  :o.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version