ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (3/15) > >>

barney:
My understanding of OneNote is that it is primarily a cloud-based app, with, appropriately enough, cloud-based storage.  I quit using EverNote when it went to the cloud:  I don't see a significant advantage to opt for a different cloud entity.

(I don't have anything against MS ... I've used a lot of their stuff over the years, usually to my advantage, even though there has been a significant amount of creep and bloat in later editions of things I've used.  Mostly, I'll use any software that does what I need done at the time  :P.)

Since my work is pretty much solo, a collaboration tool would seem to be a kind of overkill.  And, since I don't trust cloud storage - on several levels - anything cloud-based is pretty much anathema.

I was trying UltraRecall Pro along with WikeNotes, but I don't think URP is going to be able to do the job.  I've sent a help request for the problem(s), but have yet to see a response.

On the other hand, WikeNotes, young as it is, does a significant part of what I want to do.  It would help if it had an alternative tree/outline view along with the tag view - I'll try contacting the vendor to see if that's in the works - or even possible.  If I can get reasonable response from the author(s), that looks to be the route I'll be taking.

Unless something better comes along, of course  :-\.

superboyac:
Onenote is NOT primarily a cloud storage app.  It's primarily a desktop app.  The cloud sync features have been added and improved as the newer versions came.  It's cloud syncing features are not as simple and smooth as Evernote, but it works.  It uses Microsoft's Sky Drive for the syncing, if I'm not mistaken.

barney:
Looks as though I need to check OneNote.  Since it's a $$$ app, I hope there's a trial, but I suspect that'll be the case  ;).

40hz:
Got a friend who does heavy duty background research for his company's exec technical steering committee. He swears by UltraRecall Pro which you mentioned earlier. (He's also an absolute wiz with AskSam.)

I gave UltraRecall a try a few years ago. I found it extremely powerful. But something about it didn't sync with how my brain tends to work. It just struck me as being too much app for what I needed it for. But I have no doubt it's a very good app.

Might be worth giving it a try. They'll let you download a 45-day/20-use (item limited) trail copy. And they say they have provisions for extending the trial period or removing the item limit if you need more time or have to test it with a bigger database. That's unusual enough to make it worth checking out.
 :)

superboyac:
I gave UltraRecall a try a few years ago. I found it extremely powerful. But something about it didn't sync with how my brain tends to work. It just struck me as being too much app for what I needed it for. But I have no doubt it's a very good app.
-40hz (June 06, 2011, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's precisely how I've felt with UR also.  And I've tried it out at least 3 times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version