ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is the Core i7 2600K really worth the extra cost over Core i5 2500K?

<< < (5/6) > >>

steeladept:

First of all, your assumption is wrong. I'm a gamer.  :D

-Deozaan (June 03, 2011, 12:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry to imply the assumption applied to you.  I was pretty sure you are a gamer, though I didn't know how cutting edge the games you played were.  I was asking more about the quality of the onboard video given an assumption that someone was not a hard-core, cutting edge gamer.  Guess I should have made that more clear.   :-[

Given the rest of the specs, I didn't figure you even would have that as an option, but I threw that out there because I was being too lazy to look up the specs of what you had on your list.

NOTE:  Doh!  Just notice the last line in your post.  Well it is out there twice now for other readers  :P

Deozaan:
Guess I should have made that more clear.   :-[
-steeladept (June 03, 2011, 01:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, it was my fault. I skimmed the first sentence you wrote (even though I quoted it! :-[) which made it pretty clear that your question wasn't directed at/about me.

Sorry.  :-[

Stoic Joker:
Here is a related question for those of you who know....Assuming you are not gaming or doing any high-quality artwork, is there any reason not to use onboard video?  From what I have seen, the onboard video cards are quite capable, even for gaming (as long as it isn't cutting edge games).-steeladept (June 03, 2011, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Dell Dimension E521 I'm using here at the office does just fine with onboard video. Granted I don't play games on it (well okay Mahjong once or twice) but for workstuff or just general computing it's fine by me.

And yes it was a cost cutting excercise. I got a base machine with a CPU selected by best price point, and added RAM later when the price dropped. It's been a great machine for what I do.

40hz:
+1 w/Stoic. For many applications, onboard video works just fine. For general business and productivity it's usually all you'll need. :Thmbsup:

steeladept:
I was thinking more like for Mom & Dad who would probably be doing some gaming, but probably nothing like your typical gamer would consider gaming.  Games that were perhaps popular 5 years ago or more, perhaps.  And of course doing quick photo editing via the stock programs that come with their camera, web browsing, maybe even video conferencing.  Do you consider those types of activities as business/productivity?  My gut says that on-board would work fine, but I just don't know anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version