ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is the Core i7 2600K really worth the extra cost over Core i5 2500K?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Shades:
Nope, I watched LAN parties over here in Paraguay between rich kids. AMD is definitely not bad at all (and in your case a MAJOR improvement), but but Intel quad core does blow it out of the gaming waters.

Strange as it may sound, in my experience Intel processor with ATI/AMD videocard(s) and AMD processor with NVidia videocard(s) perform best.
One of those kids I know is an NVidia fanatic and has 2 GTX460 (SLI) on his Intel quadcore. But some time ago he listened to reason and bought a huge ATI/AMD (HD5870). As I sometimes observe what he is gaming on his PC I saw a lot less "flickering/pausing" in games with the single ATI card, then with the dual NVidia cards.

When I mention this I get his typical fanboy answer including the obligatory benchmark numbers, but I am not blind and yes, he is using up-to-date drivers for his Windows 7 64-bit.

wraith808:
^ No I find the same thing.  I used to use NVidia for everything with my intel setups... I switched over to AMD/ATI for my video, and have noticed nothing but improvements.  And I also was in the AMD processor camp for a while- but that switched a while back, and while AMD might be less expensive, it seems that Intel has more staying power in terms of how long between upgrades the processor can take you, especially since the changes in architecture are now very easy to predict.

40hz:
FWIW I stopped using nVidia cards (too many driver hassles) and switched back over to ATI about a year ago. I haven't had any regrets about that decision.  :)

Carol Haynes:
FWIW I stopped using nVidia cards (too many driver hassles) and switched back over to ATI about a year ago. I haven't had any regrets about that decision.  :)
-40hz (June 02, 2011, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto - the only problem I have had is cleaning off nVidia drivers to get ATI drivers to install without issue.

Stoic Joker:
Same here too - I stepped-off on nVidia back when Vista was in beta, they were just taking way too long to create a stable driver. I grabbed an ATI card (X300 IIRC) for my at the time test box ...(damn thing ran just fine with OOB drivers)... And I ain't looked back since.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version