topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 12:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Macs More Attractive for Malware Authors?  (Read 2187 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Macs More Attractive for Malware Authors?
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I just read this:

http://www.betanews....you-think/1306458529

Out of 832 respondents to the Windows PC question, 86.66 percent use anti-malware software. By comparison, 84 percent of the 582 Mac respondents don't have anti-malware software installed on their primary computers.

So, 87% of Windows users have AV software, while only 16% of Mac users have AV software. Yikes.

As Mac Defender and countless Windows malware show, successful attacks are more about social engineering than lax operating system security.

It's good to finally hear some good information in the media. The OS isn't the security issue... It's the USER!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Macs More Attractive for Malware Authors?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:24 PM »
As Mac Defender and countless Windows malware show, successful attacks are more about social engineering than lax operating system security.

It's good to finally hear some good information in the media. The OS isn't the security issue... It's the USER!

Damn Straight! ...There is no point in trying to blast your way through a  steal door when the *Ding Dong* Avon Calling approach works so much better. And there's a boat load of folks in glass houses fixin' to get all sorts of un(intentionally)welcomed attention.