ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Dropbox - conflicts...

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
an FARR option to not write to the ini file (unintentionally) would be better in my opinion
--- End quote ---

i will add this.

mouser:
An option to not save the config file except when user goes into options explicitly has been added in the latest version.

sytone:
Looking at the config dir value it would be nice if the computer name was a variable.

Example:
CONFIGDIR=.\%COMPUTERNAME%

Which would become:
<directorywherefarris>\MYCOMPUTERNAME\DonationCoder\AppName\

that way you can have history etc per computer, the only annoying point would be copying the file when you add new aliases.

Thoughts? Any other issues that this would cause?

mouser:
%COMPUTERNAME%
--- End quote ---

that's not a bad idea at all. i will try to add it.

DougalS:
I hadn't thought of syncing my aliases via DropBox, but is a good idea.  :Thmbsup: However I would implement it by leaving FARR installed normally (outside DropBox), and just have it sync the alias files. So long as you aren't editing your alias file on both computers at the same time you won't have a conflict.

Now to make DropBox sync just the alias file, I would use a hard link (file) or symbolic link (folder) in a DropBox folder that points to your alias file/folder. I chose a junction pointing to my Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom folder, so all the files and any custom icons I create are all sync'd. Now, whenever I change any files under that directory tree DropBox sees them and syncs them.

I use the Link Shell Extension to create junctions, available at http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html. With it you can just use right click to select file/folder to link, then again to create linked file/folder where you want it.

Junctions are very handy in Windows 7 (which uses them a lot, how it does all the fancy footwork with the user folders). XP can be risky, because it will delete the parent folder if the junction is deleted using explorer, Vista/7 is smart enough to remove the link and leave the source alone.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version