ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Dropbox - conflicts...

(1/5) > >>

Flippertie:
I use dropbox to sync files between PCs.  I want to run FARR in portable mode within my dropbox so my aliases and search history etc will sync between PCs

This seems OK if I work on one pc and log off before logging on to another.  But if I have sessions on two PCs at the same time I get multiple copies of the ini files labeled as 'conflict' by dropbox. 

ie - searchhistory.ini is modified on PC1, Dropbox tries to copy the file to PC2 and fails - because of locking or timestamp differences.

I can live with that - but now I'm getting failure messages when I try to open certain documents: "quickdoclauncher.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".  I'm guessing this is connected as it's only started since I moved FARR into my dropbox.

So my questions:

1 - is there a way I can relocate the searchhistory and launchhistory files (so they're outside the dropbox) but leave the Alias definitions where they are (so they still get synched)?

2 - What should I do about the quickdoclauncher errors?  I don't want to wipe everything and start again as I've spent some time setting up aliases etc.

Thanks!

mouser:
quick answer to one part of your question: FARR does not need to use the quickdoclauncher.exe helper; you'll find an option to disable that on the General options tab (uncheck the "Use document launch helper utility").

I say that because FARR does not (should not) be locking any of its settings files.. can you find out more specifically what dropbox is upset about?

One solution for your problem (and someone else mentioned this same problem with dropbox before), is for me to add a setting that says "DO NOT SAVE THE SETTINGS FILE", which you could use on all but one of your pcs?  i think that would solve the dropbox conflict errors.. which i assume are being triggered because all copies of the program are trying to save different copies of their file on top of each other.  im not sure now that's being detected..

But first it would be really helpful to know what dropbox is detecting specifically that is upsetting it.

Flippertie:
thanks for the quick response Mr Maus.

It seems the quicklauncher prob is only on one of the 3 pc's I've linked to my dropbox.  I'll look at the settings and see if I can fix it.  Will also see if I can find out more about what the conflicts are . All I see is a file with 'Laptop's conflicted copy {date time}' appended to the filename.

edbro:
The file that gives me trouble with Dropbox is FarrTroubleshooting.log. It is always locked. Is there any way to not log whatever it is supposed to log?

ewemoa:
IIRC, the bottom-most item in FARR's options dialog has to do with the troubleshooting log and it may have a checkbox relating to enabling/disabling logging.

FARR and Dropbox - conflicts...

May be that will be of some use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version