ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR and Dropbox - conflicts...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Flippertie:
Just reporting back:

I unchecked the "Use document launch helper utility" box as suggested and it has resolved the problem opening Office documents etc.

I think the dropbox conflicts come about something like this;

A file exists with identical copies on pcs A and B, and dropbox in the Cloud:  Timestamp 10:00 am. 

On pc A the file changes and is updated to the cloud with a new timestamp (say 11:00)

Later, on B, Farr updates the timestamp to 12:00. When dropbox (on B) syncs to the Cloud it knows the old stamp (10:00) and the latest (12:00). It finds 11:00 (from A) in the cloud and renames it as 'conflicted' to make way for the upload of the latest version.

It's not a big deal to delete the offending files. Putting a setting to not save the settings file would probably not help. If the setting is stored in the ini file then dropbox will sync it between the pcs.  An option to specify the location of the ini files (out side the main installation folder) might work - but is probably not worth yout time - unless other people have the same issue.

mouser:
An option to specify the location of the ini files (out side the main installation folder) might work - but is probably not worth yout time
--- End quote ---

you can already do that, just edit the configdir.ini file.

edbro:
IIRC, the bottom-most item in FARR's options dialog has to do with the troubleshooting log and it may have a checkbox relating to enabling/disabling logging.
May be that will be of some use.
-ewemoa (June 21, 2011, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you!

mouser:
The file that gives me trouble with Dropbox is FarrTroubleshooting.log. It is always locked. Is there any way to not log whatever it is supposed to log?
ewemoa says:  IIRC, the bottom-most item in FARR's options dialog has to do with the troubleshooting log and it may have a checkbox relating to enabling/disabling logging.
--- End quote ---

ahhhh.. good find, i didn't even think about that.  that makes complete sense that it is giving dropbox trouble.. maybe i should make an option to close it when not needed, rather than keeping it open for thr whole session.  adding to my todo list.

lujomu:
I have the same experience with using FARR together with Dropbox. As I have disabled search history, launch history and logging, I only get conflicts for the 'FindAndRunRobot.ini'.

I think the problem is that FARR writes to the ini file upon starting and upon closing. As FARR is one of the apps that is started first and closed last in a session, this might lead to the mentioned conflicts. Rather than putting the ini file outside of the Dropbox (which would actually defeat the purpose of Dropbox, wouldn't it?) an FARR option to not write to the ini file (unintentionally) would be better in my opinion. I already tried to set the ini file to 'read-only' but FARR happily removes the flag upon saving! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version