ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Restore programs that were running at system shutdown (with selection)

(1/4) > >>

Jabberwock:
Basically what the title says... I am working with several windows open (different programs) and decide to call it a day. If I don't want to hibernate (maybe I should, but on my previous machine this led to crashes, so I got wary of it), I have to restart all the apps and documents when I restart the computer in the morning...

It would be nice to have an app that would remember what was running at system close and restore them at startup.

Some ideas:

- Manual "snapshot" instead of recording the system shutdown, possibly with "Snapshot and close"
- Permanent and editable exclusion list, possibly with items which run at startup anyway to be excluded automatically

skwire:
What you're asking for is very hard and complex to do and it's been asked for on at least one other occasion.  Please read the thread here for more insight: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23903.0

Jabberwock:
Thank you for that link...

What I had in mind was somewhat less ambitious. I realize quite well that restoring by processes is rather unrealistic. I think I would settle with the restoration of _documents_ which were open at a specified moment. Although I am not sure all my tools register in the last opened documents as specified by Windows...

skwire:
I think I would settle with the restoration of _documents_ which were open at a specified moment.-Jabberwock (May 26, 2011, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, that's harder to do than restoring which windows were open.  It's a simple matter to generate a list of running processes, allow the user to pick and choose, and then re-run those processes on a given startup.  Unfortunately, as f0dder mentioned in the other thread, there is really not a good way to know which documents a certain app has open at any given time.  Sure, some put the current document in the titlebar text but what if said application has multiple documents open?  Follow me?

Jabberwock:
If the system feature (Recently Opened Documents) contains all needed elements, this might be a good starting point...

Monitoring the opened documents is possible as well (e.g. Nemo Documents). Obviously, it should be done by the file extension.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version