ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

To ASPX, or Not To ASPX...

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
Put it like this... Sure... you *can* hunt rabbits with a .22, but you can also hunt them with a Barrett M107A1 .50 caliber semi-automatic sniper rifle (with or without suppressor):

8)

Stoic Joker:
Why use an entire CMS when you could just use a stand-alone shopping cart? Assuming that's all the thing needs to do.
-JavaJones (May 25, 2011, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because overkill is fun~!  ;D
-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh fuck me...  :wallbash:  :D

But seriously...
VS 2005 will only let you do up to .NET 2.0. Which is fine for most things. However, you may want to use .NET 3.5, or a component may need that, so you'll want 2008/10 most likely. Basically, 2010 just gives you more options so you don't need to think about things as much.-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... ok. At this point less options might be safer. (I'll have plenty of time to regret that assertion later...)

DNN is free as well, so there's no cost associated there other than your infrastructure, which you already have.-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! Okay... I saw the $120 price tag on the component you'd mentioned and assumed...  :-[

I looked at that CP page. I don't know why you'd want to go that route though. I don't see any advantage to getting your hands dirty when you don't need to.-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's kind of a less is more thing. We already have to get a CMS which was selected by an outside contractor (see PM). I actually liked the looks of Concrete5, but haven't had time to explore it and/or push the issue. The one picked is CMS made simple. This little project is getting (quite literally) wedged into a corner somewhere ... In the hopes it won't conflict with anything major. There are quite a lot of things going on on that box... And I'd like to keep the load limit out of the red. ;)

Renegade:
For the client site that I'd mentioned above, I changed the DNS and had the site up and running inside of a morning with time to spare (I think it took me less than an hour). Done. From there on, it was only a matter of entering products.

I know I'm kind of harping on it, but time... There's just so little of it. Anything I can do to save me time is a godsend.

For things going wrong, I've never had a smooth PHP installation. I always need to tweak the INI file to stop modules (that are supposed to actually run properly) from killing PHP entirely. I'm not a fan of PHP on a Windows box. Yeah, I run PHP, but I cripple a lot of it so that it doesn't cripple itself. Kind of like breaking a lemmings legs so that it doesn't run off the cliff. :)

Stoic Joker:
For the client site that I'd mentioned above, I changed the DNS and had the site up and running inside of a morning with time to spare (I think it took me less than an hour). Done. From there on, it was only a matter of entering products.

I know I'm kind of harping on it, but time... There's just so little of it. Anything I can do to save me time is a godsend. -Renegade (May 25, 2011, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... Okay, I'll look into it in the morning.

For things going wrong, I've never had a smooth PHP installation. I always need to tweak the INI file to stop modules (that are supposed to actually run properly) from killing PHP entirely. I'm not a fan of PHP on a Windows box.-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think I've ever really had a problem with it. But I usually start with everything turned off, and then activate only what is required. It's the development time that kills me. Which granted is probably my own fault for not using some type of IDE.

Yeah, I run PHP, but I cripple a lot of it so that it doesn't cripple itself. Kind of like breaking a lemmings legs so that it doesn't run off the cliff. :)-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha  Consider that line officially stolen ... I love it!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version