ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

To ASPX, or Not To ASPX...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
DNN?-Stoic Joker (May 25, 2011, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd assume DotNetNuke.
-skwire (May 25, 2011, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.

It's ASP.NET with MS SQL Server in the back. There are other providers though, so you could run it with Oracle or MySQL as well. It can use MS SQL Server Express too.

Stoic Joker:
@skwire - Thank you, I was having a retarded moment.

On a semi-related note, for "ASPX or not ASPX", I like to drop extensions as they contain no useful information for the URL. In DNN this module lets you customize your URLs very quickly, easily, and RELIABLY:

http://www.ifinity.com.au/Products/Url_Master_DNN_SEO_Urls

I would highly recommend that module as I have used it and found it to be reliable.-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll keep that in mind for the future, but at the moment I'm (not going for style points) trying to "Hand-Job" as much as possible to keep the IT budget down to make room for a much needed hardware refresh. We got a bunch of antique whitebox XP machines here that I'm dying to get shed of.

I did find this: Shopping Cart using C#.NET, Web Forms and SQL Server which should be a perfect way to spike my learning curve and get this thing off the ground. I can reverse engineer damn near anything...So I'll probably take a crack at it in the morning.

I'd say use VS 2010 as you can use any .NET version there. It's like having 2005 and 2008 at the same time.-Renegade (May 25, 2011, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not really up on .NET versions - Being as I've been avoiding it for years -  Is there some thing specific in 08/10 that I would/could/should need/be concerned with?

Renegade:
VS 2005 will only let you do up to .NET 2.0. Which is fine for most things. However, you may want to use .NET 3.5, or a component may need that, so you'll want 2008/10 most likely. Basically, 2010 just gives you more options so you don't need to think about things as much.

DNN is free as well, so there's no cost associated there other than your infrastructure, which you already have.

I looked at that CP page. I don't know why you'd want to go that route though. I don't see any advantage to getting your hands dirty when you don't need to.

I look at things as just getting them done, and any coding that I can avoid is time I can spend on other things. (Like getting rid of Access databases~! :) )

DNN is super-easy to administer as well. You really should have a good look at it, as it sounds like it will do everything you want for little or no work and no up-front costs.

JavaJones:
Why use an entire CMS when you could just use a stand-alone shopping cart? Assuming that's all the thing needs to do.

- Oshyan

Renegade:
Why use an entire CMS when you could just use a stand-alone shopping cart? Assuming that's all the thing needs to do.
-JavaJones (May 25, 2011, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because overkill is fun~!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version