ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Thoughts on HTML5?

<< < (2/2)

Renegade:
Did anybody else notice that Safari has much better HTML5 support on Windows than it does on (its native) Mac? I'm not really sure what to read into that. Other than perhaps that Mac is just gum-balling code together for the Windows version so they can work out how and what not to do on their own doorstep.

Save on support headaches by screwing up on somebody else's dime, yeah, that's inovative... Not!
-Stoic Joker (May 27, 2011, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would make sense.

rgdot:
Some of this has to do with the end consumer too. I kind of see it as similar to the IPv4 story. The end user doesn't want to care as long as youtube videos work (or in IPv6's case, as long as you can just type youtube.com and go)
This kind of 'as long as it works' attitude doesn't create motivation at the business level.

Stoic Joker:
Some of this has to do with the end consumer too. I kind of see it as similar to the IPv4 story. The end user doesn't want to care as long as youtube videos work (or in IPv6's case, as long as you can just type youtube.com and go)
This kind of 'as long as it works' attitude doesn't create motivation at the business level.-rgdot (May 27, 2011, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

He's got a point there folks - Not everybody is as picky as we are... :)

vlastimil:
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are pushing HTML5. An open and (relatively) powerful standard is in their interest.

Opera is trying, but its small market share makes it irrelevant (sorry to say that) - it is a good software, but they do not have a killer feature that would lead more people to them. Good compatibility is not enough, especially when sites are optimized for other browsers.

Internet Explorer has been successfully (intentionally) slowing down the adoption of new web technologies in the last decade. Powerful web apps are Microsoft's nightmare. Once ordinary users only need a capable internet browser, Windows loses a lot of ground. (Why install Windows on your mom's computer when she only needs it for reading email, video-conferencing, watching news, TV shows and movies, listening to music and playing games like solitaire? And all that can be done in a free HTML5 browser running on a free Linux.)

Microsoft continues to sabotage the progress with IE9 by claiming HTML5 compatibility and calling it a modern browser. They only implemented a tiny bit of HTML5 and are discrediting the HTML5 buzzword. That behavior is completely understandable, it has brought them a lot of money. They were the leader in IE4 times, but left that position to others. Maybe they make a comeback - they had 10 years to address the situation and I kind of do not want to believe that their whole strategy was to delay the adoption of web technologies. We'll see...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version